Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 11th, 2009 11:00

Inspiron 530 hot swap 2nd hdrive

Can you hot swap your 2nd hardrive in the 530? I have installed a 2nd sata hardive that has data on it. It was formatted as NTFS and was originally in an external USB drive enclosure. The USB is not working in the enclosure anymore. There was no OS on the drive. However windows vista home premium would hang when booting up with the drive installed as a 2nd hardrive. Setup would recognize it with the correct model and size though. I am think of leaving the data cable unhooked until the computer booted up into window and than attaching the data cable to the hardrive and see if that work. Is it possible?

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

August 11th, 2009 14:00

No, you would fry your computer. Instead, enter the bios (setup) and look at the boot order. Make sure the second drive is not placed in front of the real boot drive. If so, move it down to the bottom of the list.

The real boot drive needs to be in Drive 0 connection on the motherboard. It should already be there, but double check it.

8 Posts

August 11th, 2009 15:00

The 2nd drive is connected to SATA1. The boot drive is connected to SATA0 and the bios recognized that. I also tried connecting the 2nd drive to SATA4 but still with the same problem.

No Events found!