Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 24th, 2013 15:00

Inspiron 530s - Can Turn On But No Display

Hi,

I have Inspiron 530s, it can power on fine with no beeps or whatsoever, but it doesn't display anything.

I have tried the following:

- replaced the installed discrete graphic card with a working one from another PC

- removed the installed discrete graphic card and use the integrated VGA port instead

- replaced the RAM with working one from another PC

- have tried more than one cable and monitor

Can someone please give any suggestion what to try next?

Thanks.

4 Operator

• 

2.6K Posts

September 24th, 2013 15:00

Hi gset047,

Please let me know the color and status of the Power button light. Is it ON/OFF/ Blinking?

Awaiting your response!

5 Posts

September 24th, 2013 16:00

I have not tried connecting the monitor to another working computer. But I have tried connecting this to another working monitor though.

Yeah there are no beeps. So yeah it could be the mobo. Is there any cheap mobo suitable for this? Is it a standard mATX mobo?

Note: If I remove all the RAM, it does beep. Not sure if this mean the mobo still working fine.

5 Posts

Hi,

Thanks for the quick response.

It's ON (blue) all the time.

Thanks.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

Hi,

I have Inspiron 530s, it can power on fine with no beeps or whatsoever, but it doesn't display anything.

I have tried the following:

- replaced the installed discrete graphic card with a working one from another PC

- removed the installed discrete graphic card and use the integrated VGA port instead

- replaced the RAM with working one from another PC

- have tried more than one cable and monitor

Can someone please give any suggestion what to try next?

Thanks.

gset047

Did you try connecting the monitor to another working computer, to see if it's not a monitor issue?

But, are there are no 'Beeps' and the power button is solid Blue and you have already tried connecting the monitor to both the replacement video card and the integrated graphics port, without making a difference, then it sounds like a motherboard failure.

Bev. 

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

September 24th, 2013 18:00

I have not tried connecting the monitor to another working computer. But I have tried connecting this to another working monitor though.

Yeah there are no beeps. So yeah it could be the mobo. Is there any cheap mobo suitable for this? Is it a standard mATX mobo?

Note: If I remove all the RAM, it does beep. Not sure if this mean the mobo still working fine.

gset047

First remove all the memory modules, then install only one module in slot 1 and see if the system boots and if the computer starts normally, reinstall an additional module.

Does not boot, move the module to slot 2 and again see if the system boots, no boot, try the module in slot 3, no boot, try installing in slot 4.

Still does not boot, then remove the first module and using the second one, repeat the sequence described above.

Still no boot, try installing any remaining modules, one at a time, using the above procedure.

If there is no difference, try installing a 'known' working motherboard.

Best to buy a Dell OEM Inspiron 530s motherboard.

https://www.serversupply.com/MOTHERBOARD/DESKTOP%20BOARD/SOCKET%20775/DELL/G33M02.htm

Bev.

5 Posts

September 24th, 2013 18:00

I've tried to install only one module in slot 1 but there is no difference.

Will try slot 2-4 later ... and let you know.

Thanks.

4 Operator

• 

2.6K Posts

September 25th, 2013 18:00

Hi gset047,

Sure, please post the results. We will assist you further based on the results.

Awaiting your response!

5 Posts

October 10th, 2013 17:00

Hi,

I've tried it but still can't see anything.

I've also tried to install the discrete graphic card on other PC and it's working fine. So is it definitely the motherboard?

Thanks.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

October 10th, 2013 18:00

Hi,

I've tried it but still can't see anything.

I've also tried to install the discrete graphic card on other PC and it's working fine. So is it definitely the motherboard?

Thanks.

gset047

That's a bummer.

If you want to replace the motherboard, a refurbished [aka used] Dell OEM motherboard can be purchased for $100+-.

Bev.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

October 10th, 2013 19:00

Used 530s motherboards can be had on eBay for under $50 (and shipping extra).

No Events found!