Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 14th, 2014 10:00

Inspiron 530s Desktop - Shutting down and Restarting over & over again

Hi,

My Inspiron 530s Desktop is shutting down and restarting over & over again. I have tried many things:

Replaced New Power Supply

Removed RAM and tried

Unplugged Hard Disk and tried

Replaced Battery

If i start it after a long time it runs for 15-20 mins but then start doing the same thing again (restarting by itself) 

I really don't know what could be the issue... Please help.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

July 14th, 2014 15:00

Overheating? Maybe needs new thermal paste between CPU and heat sink..?

1 Message

July 17th, 2014 09:00

Do you get an error message before the BIOS runs after it shuts down and restarts?

It sounds like a problem I was having(I had the WD 500GB caviar blue HDD) and it had an error due to

some corrupted data. Dell has a diagnostic/program that can not be shut down(to my knowledge) that will,

as soon as your hard drive tries to access the corrupted data, shut down the system. I tried a full

reformatting of my HDD and reinstalling windows but apparently the HDD was actually damaged enough

for that to not matter.

It was quite annoying. I would boot up just fine, use my pc for 15-30 minutes then it would just shut down

without warning. Much like a system overheating, but all of the components and ambient temp were within

normal operating range. Sometimes it would get into a cycle of restarting itself over and over when it

would get to the BIOS screen. I replaced the HDD and it has not happened since.

July 18th, 2014 08:00

Yes I get some error message but its too short time to read before the system gets shut down... I think replacing the hard disk is the only thing left now, I will check by plugging in another internal hard disk to see if this is the case. But thanks very much for a detailed reply, I will try that this weekend and will post my result.

July 21st, 2014 06:00

Alright... replaced the HDD and nothing changed its all the same.... shutting down and restating so rapidly. I think I am done with this... this seems to me some problem with Motherboard... I don't want to spend too much money fixing it if I can get another for same price... If anyone can help that would be great otherwise have to buy a new one :(
No Events found!