Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

C

November 20th, 2011 23:00

Inspiron 531 Won't Power Up

Hello.  I've seen several posts regarding various desktop models not powering up including the 530 which is very similar to the 531.   Here's my story. :)

I was using Nero to recoded a DVD.  As it was analyzing the disc I opened up Roxio.  At that point I got the blue screen of death. It said something about something fatal happening and windows is shutting down to protect the pc or something like that.  The blue screen also said something about performing a crash dump.

Well the crash dump was taking forever.  So I pulled the plug and powered off the pc.  Then , when I tried to power back on via the front panel power button, - nothing.  No blue light, no PC powering up, nothing.   The green light in the back of Power Supply was still lit.

So after researching a bit on the net I tried forum member shesagordie's test of the power supply:

"Try unplugging the cord from the power supply, hold the power button in for about 15/20 seconds, open the case, unplug the 20-pin connector from the motherboard and jump the Green wire to one of the Black wires, reconnect the power cord and if power supply fan and hard drive runs, then the PSU should be good.

Note: Do not remove any wires from the plug, use a small piece of wire or a paper clip as a jumper.

Bev."

After a couple of tries, this worked.  The fans powered up, the hard drive, the blue light in front, etc.  I was able to log-on to Windows (Vista) and use the pc as normal.  But then I pulled the paper clip jumper from the green wire to the black wire and the PC shut off.   So I had to try it again.   After a couple of tries, I again got it to power up.  Again, I pulled the paper clip jumper but this time it stayed on.

So then I tried shutting down via the Windows Start Menu/Shutdown.  The pc shut down but then I wasnt able to power up again via the front panel power button.  I again did the jumper cable to get it up and running.  This is the only way I can get the PC to power up.

So basically my PC will be fine and useable if I leave it powered up ( I do anyway).  But if it shutsdown unexpectedly or I want to shut it down myself, I wont be able to get it powered up again unless I do the jumper from green wire to black wire.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what may be causing this?  The power supply seems to be fine since the jumper works.  What else could be causing the pc to not power up (from a shut down) via the front panel power button?  It does power up via a restart.

One thing I did notice, - the Power Supply Green Light is dim when I cant get the PC to power up and the 24 pin, main power socket is attached to the motherboard. If I disconnect the 24 pin from the motherboard, the green light is bright.  Then, both with the jumper cable connected and after the PC powers up, the green light is bright.  Not sure if this means anything.

Thanks in advance for you responses and help!

November 21st, 2011 01:00

Your operating system got corrupted somehow.Most of the boot up of problem because of registry missing or crashed, file deleted or changed.Here is the solution to boot up your Windows:

Boot up with WinPE

Tenorshare Data Recovery WinPE allows users to burn ISO file to CD/DVD/USB flash drive and boot up operating system from bootable CD/DVD/USB flash drive directly.It can be used to retrieve data under any boot up problem.

Step 1: Download Tenorshare Data Recovery WinPE in any available computer (not from PC that can’t boot up). Then launch it.

Get it from www.any-data-recovery.com/index.htm

Step 2: Insert CD/DVD/USB flash drive to the computer, choose ISO image file. Here we take USB flash drive for example. Then burn ISO file into flash drive.

Step 3: Insert the burned flash drive to the unbootable PC. Run computer and press “F2”, ”F10” or “Delete” to enter BIOS setup.

Step 4: Use the arrow keys to select Boot tab, select Boot Device Priority and press Enter. Please choose 1st Boot Device to USB, and then press F10 to save setting. Now your computer will start with the changed settings automatically.

Then if you have a backup for your Windows then perform a system restore to fix it.If not,reinstall it.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

November 21st, 2011 09:00

club1820

First check that the cables from the motherboard to the front power switch and I/O panel are properly, by removing and reconnecting them.

No difference, could be either a faulty power switch and or, the I/O panel, try replacing and see if this makes a differnce.

Bev.

10 Posts

November 21st, 2011 10:00

Bev, thanks for the response. I was hoping you would chime in. :)

Actually, before I finally got it to power-up with the jumper, I disconnected everything from the mother board and reseated everything.  The fans, drives, memory chips, cards,  etc.  Including the front panel power switch and the I/O panel.

The front I/O panel is for the front USB sockets and headphones/mic connections if I am thinking of the same thing you are.  How would this effect the front power switch?  Either way, the front panel I/O connections are working fine.

So then, should we conclude that its a faulty front panel switch?  If so, where/how can I get a replacement switch?

Thanks for your help!!!

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

November 21st, 2011 12:00

club1820

I have a 4+ year 530MT that a clone of the 531 [except for the processor] and that would be the part I would first replace.

A refurbished Dell Cable NT294 Button Power button for the Inspiron 530/531 can be purchased from either HERE, or HERE

Bev.

10 Posts

November 21st, 2011 13:00

Bev, BTW - I'm curious as to what the jumper (green & black cable) does to make the PC start-up?

Thanks.

10 Posts

November 21st, 2011 13:00

Bev, thanks!  Now that I knew what to look for, -  I found a NEW  one on Ebay for the same price. :)   Thanks!  I hope this solves my issue.  I will report back once I install the new switch.

Thanks again and have a great Turkey Day!

10 Posts

November 21st, 2011 14:00

I see.  Well, I ordered the front panel switch and hopefully that solves the issue.  If not, then I guess I need to replace the Power Supply.  A bit more expensive.

I'll report back.

Thanks.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

Bev, BTW - I'm curious as to what the jumper (green & black cable) does to make the PC start-up?

Thanks.

club1820

It simulates the path provided by the motherboard connector and jumpstarts the power supply.

But, there's a "gotcha", passing the above does not mean that the PSU is 100% good, as it's not being tested under any kind of load, that's the reason why I recommend using a 'know' working power supply for 100% test.

Bev.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

club1820

That's great, $7+ is a good price.

I hope both you and your family have a Happy Thanksgiving also. 

Bev.

6 Posts

January 5th, 2012 05:00

I'm having a similar issue... we have a computer lab.  We found that if the 531 is unplugged, it will NOT power up at all unless it sits for a period of time (1-5 min).  Then it will come on.  Usually leaving it plugged in works... but this morning one of the 531's didn't power up at all.  I tested the power supply (jump green/black)...   still nothing when I plug in the 20 pin.  I can jump it and it will start up... but shut down and it will not start unless I jump it again...

Did you have any luck with the new switch? 

Tnx,

Mike

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

January 5th, 2012 09:00

mam361

Assuming that you have the inspiron 531 Mini tower and not the 531s Slimline version.

Try installing a different power supply

Most generic standard ATX power supply units can be installed, with either a 24-pin or 20+4-pin main motherboard power connector, with or without the on/off switch.

You should be able to buy a compatible power supply from either a local or online computer store.

Note: You require a power supply with four SATA power connectors.

Bev.

6 Posts

January 6th, 2012 12:00

Thanks Bev...  So - this morning I pulled a working power supply from an identical computer and put it in the questionable one.  It did NOT power up.  I put it back (just to be sure) into the other system I took it from and it worked fine.

So, then I jumped over the power supply (green/black) and 'kick started' the questionable system.  I left the jumper in place... powered down.  Got an amber glowing switch.  I turned it back on, no problem.  I shut it down again - got amber glowing switch light ... pulled the jumper and it went out.  From there it would not start at all.

It seems like there is something causing it to not come on.  Is there BIOS setting somewhere that may be corrupted??  I'm wondering if I should flash the bios...   The system seems to be just fine, once you 'jump start' it...

Mike

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

January 6th, 2012 13:00

mam361

There are no BIOS settings for this issue and never ever attempt to flash the BIOS, unless the computer is functioning correctly.

Are there any 'Beep's', if there are, please post the sequence of them?

Is the power button LED, Steady Amber, or Blinking Amber?

The Inspiron 531 Troubleshooter is HERE 

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

Bev.

10 Posts

Actually, I don't have a definitive answer just yet.   I received the switch and installed it.   When I tried to power it up with the new switch, it did NOT start up.  I once again had to use the jumper to get it started.   So, since I normally have the PC on all the time, and with the holidays and everything I havent really had a chance to turn it off and test the new switch.  Although the Initial test after installing the switch did not work. So I can only assume it won't work and the problem is not caused by the switch.  

For me its not too much of an issue only because I never turn the PC off.  Its only a pain to get it started when I do need to power off as the jumper only works after a few different tries.

10 Posts

Not sure if this means anything and the troubleshooting guide applies to me in this instance, but at times when trying to get it powered up with the jumper, it doesnt work and I only get a steady Amber light. (?)  As mentioned previously, I have disconnected and reseated everything previously.

Troubleshooting Guide:

If the power light is steady amber, there may be a power problem or an internal device malfunction.

Ensure that all power cables are securely connected to the system board (see System Board Components).

Ensure that the main power cable and front panel cable are securely connected to the system board

No Events found!