Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 9th, 2010 21:00

Inspiron Desktop 531S Windows 7 Headache

So, i've reformatted a friends inspiron 531s, the specs are the following

amd 64 x2 dual core 3800+

2gb ram

windows 7 ultimate

The install went just fine, I'm aware that dell doesn't support winders sebben on this desktop but I hate vista and figured I could do a little work and make it 

a nice 7 box for him.

The problem I have is that the ethernet adapter doesn't show up in the device manager, and there is some unknown device in there as well.

I'm pretty sure it's an Nvidia Nforce adapter according to my service tag, but something seems wrong.

No internet means this is a pretty useless computer to my friend.

Does anyone know why this is happening, or perhaps know some form of solution.

I'd hate to reinstall vista but it seems like that might be the only option I'm left with.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

August 9th, 2010 23:00

It's happening because the NIC driver is not on the Windows 7 install disc.

You could add a third-party network card for a few dollars. Ironically, after you install the NIC, Windows 7 would be able to find the driver you're looking for over the Internet and install it.

The other option is to find the driver yourself; supposedly the 531s has the nVIdia MCP 61 chipset, for which you may find the drivers in here.

6 Posts

December 3rd, 2010 14:00

It's happening because the NIC driver is not on the Windows 7 install disc.

You could add a third-party network card for a few dollars. Ironically, after you install the NIC, Windows 7 would be able to find the driver you're looking for over the Internet and install it.

The other option is to find the driver yourself; supposedly the 531s has the nVIdia MCP 61 chipset, for which you may find the drivers in here.

Thanks for your instruction! Now I understand more about it.
No Events found!