Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 15th, 2009 08:00

Installing Nvidia 9600 GSO graphic card on Inspiron 530

I just bough a Dell Inspiron 530 with a quad core and Windows Vista 64, and I want to install a Nvidia GeForce 9600 GSO video card. I tried to install the drivers and got an error message saying the hardware could not be found (presumably because the computer was only seeing the intrgrated chip, and not the card in the PCI slot). I know the card is getting power (the light came on) and I know Windows can see the card (I got the new hardware detected message). Tech support from Nvidia says to disable the integrated video chip in the BIOS and then install the 9600 drivers, but everything I have read says you can't disable the onboard video chip. I checked out the BIOS, but did not see anything that immediately struck me as the solution to my problem. What is the best way to get the new card working, and once I am running the monitor through the new card, will I still be able to access the BIOS without changing the monitor connection back to the VGA? Any help would be greatl. (I have limited knowledge of computers so please keep that in mind with any reply).

Thanks

4 Operator

• 

3.7K Posts

Hi jraama, Also if you have any software for your graphics, which includes the driver, must be removed before you install your new card.

1.7K Posts

Once you install a video card in your PCI Express x16 slot (upper slot), it will automatically change the video over to using the card versus using the integrated graphics.  You don't have to change anything in the BIOS.  Basically, you just shut down your computer and install the video card and then connect your monitor to it.  Also, make sure you connect the 6-pin PCIe power cable from your PSU to the card as it requires additional power to run.  Restart your computer and install the driver.  Windows has default low resolution graphics that will run until you install the driver.  Generally, it is best to install the latest driver from Nvidia's web site as the one on the CD is usually out of date.  I will have the driver downloaded to my desktop first so after the card is installed and I restart, I can just click on the driver to install it.  I have an Inspiron 530 with a 9600 GT and this has worked for me everytime. 

BTW, there should be an option in your BIOS under Advanced Chipset Features I believe, that changes the video from PCI to Onboard.  However, PCI should be set as the default even if you are using integrated graphics.

4 Posts

January 15th, 2009 18:00

JMICHAEL

Thanks for the info, it worked perfectly. Maybe you can answer one more question, Nvidia recommends 500W power supply for this card. I did not upgrade my power supply and I believe it is only 350W for DELL Inspiron. I also read that XFX overestimates the requirements and DELL underestimates the actual power capability of the power supply. What will happen if I run the card using the existing 350W power supply?

1.7K Posts

January 17th, 2009 07:00

Absolutely nothing.  Like I said, your whole system is not drawing much over 250 watts with this card installed and your 350W power supply is capable of suppling over 400 watts.  Enjoy!

No Events found!