Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 5th, 2011 14:00

Keyboard problem typing some wrong symbols

Hi

Im hoping someone can help me with my keyboard problem.

I have a Dell E520 desktop since jan 2007

My computer crashed about a month ago and I reloaded Windows XP but since then I found I cannot get my Keyboard that is a usb connection to type some correct symbols when those keys are pressed and it is only a few. 

I have checked the Keyboard and it is set to UK, and the symbols I seem to having problems with are,  when i want to type the @ symbol I have to type " and vice verse if I want the " symbol I have to type the @ symbol, if I want the £ sign i get the # sign, and still not worked out where the £ symbol is, and im even more confused now as they are working correctly while im typing in the forum here, but if I try using in word to tpye in or try to write a e-mail they are as I have put down above and there are a couple other ones wrong also.

When I check the  keyboard in control panel it says it is a HID Keyboard with standard keyboard and it has 2 drivers showing C:\windows\system32\drivers\kbdclass.sys or  C:\windows\system32\drivers\kbdhid.sys.

Neither seem to work correctly when typing in word or e-mail programmes.

But as i said they are typing correct in here, so im not sure if that is a clue for someone, but thats a 1st time those symbols have worked correctly in 4 weeks

Thanks and i hope someone can advise me what weird and wonderful things are going on with my keyboard

Kevin

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

January 5th, 2011 16:00

It sounds like you didn't set ALL the language location options correctly after reinstalling XP. For whatever reason, Microsoft buried some of these settings.

Open the Regional & Languages control panel

On Regional Options tab, you have set the location in 2 places

On Languages tab, click Details button and then Settings tab. Select (click) your keyboard in the box. If it's not listed in the box, click Add buton and select your keyboard from the list. Click OK back to previous screen and make sure to select the keyboard in the box.

On Advanced tab choose your version of English.

Click OK back to desktop and reboot.

WHEW!!

Ron

9 Posts

January 6th, 2011 09:00

sounds like you activated the fn feature on your keyboard heres a link to help you     http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fn_key

No Events found!