Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 1st, 2013 13:00

Looking for a cheap way to replace power supply K5483 on XPS Gen 3

Hello,

I have what appears to be a dead power supply in my nine-year-old XPS Gen 3.  The fans inside the power supply still spin, but the machine no longer boots: I get blank (black) diagnostic lights for an hour or so, and then all four lights flash green about twice per second.  Something seems to be cycling--the lights in the room dim a bit every time the diagnostic lights flash.  The reason I think it's the power supply is that I can't open the CDROM drive tray, which should work even when the machine won't boot (if the PSU is supplying power to it properly).

In any event, I want to buy a replacement power supply from eBay.  It doesn't need to be the same form factor, as the machine has its guts out & is no longer subject to cosmetic concerns.  But it would be nice if all the connectors on the replacement power supply matched the old PSU.  What sort of power supply was K5483?  ATX, BTX?  Was the connection to the motherboard standard?  I don't care about the front panel so much.  Anything special I should use to narrow down my eBay search?

Thanks,
BGU

6 Posts

September 7th, 2013 13:00

Solution: I ended up buying a KINGWIN ABT-750MM to replace the original power supply.  It was only $10 on eBay (plus another $10 in shipping).  All the connectors on the newer power supply were compatible with those of the XPS Gen 3.  My biggest concerns were the main connection to the motherboard (but the power supply actually supports both 20- and 24-pin connections) and the little 12V CPU connector (but the power supply came with both 4-pin and 6-pin connectors for that, too).  Back in business!

Of course, the form factor is completely wrong & I have the new power supply crammed in where the upper two 5.25 drive bays used to be--but the machine isn't in the world to look good any more. 

Good luck,
BGU

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

September 1st, 2013 14:00

You would  be better off getting a Precision 380 or XPS 400 or better to upgrade.  They are inexpensive and and use standard power supply.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

September 1st, 2013 15:00

blakeu

The XPS G3 has a Dell proprietary power supply, due to it's shape and size, there is no retail power supply equivalent available.

ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_xps_desktop/dimension-g3_Service%20Manual_en-us.pdf

You need a Dell XPS GEN 3 460W Power Supply P/N's G5594,W7124

Bev.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

September 7th, 2013 15:00

blakeu

:emotion-21:

Bev.

No Events found!