Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 2nd, 2015 20:00

Major SM Bus Controller Issue - Dell Optiplex 790

I am running Windows 7 - 32 Bit,  on an OptiPlex 790 (Early 2011)

Service Tag: <ADMIN NOTE: Service tag removed per privacy policy>

I had some drivers with a printer that we had. Initially windows was able to find and install the driver. Later, it stopped working for some interesting reason and would not find the device driver. My first attempt was to find the driver for the printer (Brother MFC USB 9700) and manually install it. I found one for Windows Vista, but it didn't work. The second attempt was to uninstall the USB controller drivers and let Windows install everything again. It installed everything except the "SM bus controller" didn't install. When I go to manually check if it will find the driver, it says that "driver can not be found, code 28". I tried using dell.com drivers and reinstall the chipset driver, still not working. I'm not sure what the problem is and how to troubleshoot it. Any help would be appreciated.

4 Posts

January 2nd, 2015 20:00

This is an updated. I installed the " Intel Chipset DriverIntel Chipset Driver " and the SM bus controller error went away. However, I have two unknown USB devices that are unrecognized in the device manager. Windows can't find drivers for them. I tried uninstalling and rebooting PC, but this doesn't help. They come back as unrecognized. I am also not able to plug in an USB devices because none of the are recognized and the computer doesn't attempt to look for them...

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

January 2nd, 2015 22:00

SM Bus controller is ALWAYS chipset drivers were not installed.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

January 2nd, 2015 22:00

Either you have USB based malware or you damaged the registry.

http://downloads.dell.com/published/pages/optiplex-790.html

• Description Supported OS Download
    Intel Management Engine 7.1 Components Installer
    This package provides the Intel Management Engine 7.1 Components Installer and is supported on the Precision, OptiPlex and Latitude models that are running the following Windows Operating Systems: XP, Windows 7 and Windows 8.More details
    Windows 7 32-bit
    Windows 7 64-bit
    Windows XP x64
    Windows 8 32-bit
    Windows 8 64-bit
    Windows XP
    Intel Management Engine 7.1 Components Driver
    This package provides the driver for Intel Management Engine 7.1 Components Installer and is supported on Latitude, OptiPlex and Precision are running following Windows Operating system: XP, Windows 7 and Windows 8.More details
    Windows 7 32-bit
    Windows XP
    Windows 8 32-bit
    Windows 8 64-bit
    Windows 7 64-bit
    Intel Management Engine Interface Driver
    This package provides the Intel Unified AMT 7 Management Interface Driver and is supported on the Latitude, OptiPlex and Precision models that are running the following Windows Operating Systems: XP, Vista, Windows 7 and Windows 8.More details
    Windows 7 32-bit
    Windows XP
    Windows 8 64-bit
    Windows Vista 32-bit
    Windows XP x64
    Windows Vista 64-bit
    Windows 7 64-bit
    Windows 8 32-bit
    Intel Unified AMT 7 Management Interface Driver
    This package provides the Intel Unified AMT 7 Management Interface Driver and is supported on OptiPlex and Precision that are running the following Windows Operating Systems: XP, Vista and Windows 7.More details
    Windows 7 64-bit
    Windows XP
    Windows XP x64
    Windows Vista 64-bit
    Windows 7 32-bit
    Windows Vista 32-bit
    NEC USB 3.0 Driver
    This package provides the NEC USB 3.0 Driver and is supported on OptiPlex, Precision and Latitude models that are running the following Windows Operating Systems: XP, Vista (32/64-bit) and Windows 7 (32/64-bit).More details
    Windows Vista 64-bit
    Windows Vista 32-bit
    Windows 7 32-bit
    Windows XP x64
    Windows XP
    Windows 7 64-bit
    Intel Chipset Driver
    This package provides the Intel Chipset Driver and is supported on OptiPlex, Latitude and Precision models that are running the following Windows Operating Systems: XP, Vista (32/64-bit) and Windows 7 (32/64-bit).More details
    Windows XP
    Windows Vista 32-bit
    Windows 7 64-bit
    Windows 7 32-bit
    Windows XP x64
    Windows Vista 64-bit
    Intel Unified AMT 7 Management Interface Driver, v.7.1.0.1028, A00
    Intel Unified AMT Driver, 7.1.0.1028 PV 5MB SKUMore details
    Windows XP
    Windows Vista 64-bit
    Windows Vista 32-bit
    Windows 7 64-bit
    Windows 7 32-bit
    Windows XP x64
  • Type: Utility
    Description Supported OS Download
    Intel Identity Protection Technology Driver
    This package provides the Intel Identity Protection Technology Driver and is supported on Latitude, Precision and OptiPlex models that are running the following Windows Operating Systems: XP, Windows 7 and Windows 8.More details
    Windows 7 64-bit
    Windows 8 32-bit
    Windows 7 32-bit
    Windows XP
    Windows 8 64-bit
    Intel Identity Protection Technology Utility
    This package provides the Intel Identity Protection Technology Utility and is supported on OptiPlex, Precision and Latitude models that are running the following Windows Operating Systems: XP, Vista, Windows 7 and Windows 8.More details
    Windows 8 32-bit
    Windows 8 64-bit
    Windows 7 32-bit
    Windows 7 64-bit
    Windows Vista 32-bit
    Windows Vista 64-bit
    Windows XP
    Intel Identity Protection Technology Utility
    This package provides the Intel Identity Protection Technology Utility and is supported on Latitude, OptiPlex and Precision models that are running the following Windows Operating Systems: XP, Vista and Windows 7.More details
    Windows Vista 32-bit
    Windows 7 64-bit
    Windows 7 32-bit
    Windows XP
    Windows Vista 64-bit
    Intel Identity Protection Technology (IPT), v.1.0.71 PV, A00
    Intel IPT Middleware/API 1.0.71 PVMore details
    Windows Vista 64-bit
    Windows XP
    Windows Vista 32-bit
    Windows 7 32-bit
    Windows 7 64-bit

4 Posts

January 3rd, 2015 14:00

If the registry is damaged, what can I do to fix it?

4 Posts

January 4th, 2015 15:00

Thanks for your suggestions so far. The drive seems to work pretty well so far. The only thing that doesn't show in my Serial Bus Controllers is the USB Composite Device Driver. I don't know where I can possibly install it from. It doesn't appear to be a stand alone driver. Can I install this driver somehow, or is it part of some package?

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

January 4th, 2015 15:00

You don't fix it.  You buy a new hard drive and a USB to Sata wire.  Reinstall everything on a new blank drive and use the usb wire to recover data from the old drive if possible.  Sometimes the drive is too far damaged to recover anything.  You can get ontrack data recovery to do it but it costs $350 for diag and $3500 for recovery.  They recovered data from a space shuttle hard drive that fell from the sky,

http://www.apricorn.com/products/notebook-hard-drive-upgrade-kits/drivewire-ide-pata-sata-to-usb-hdd-adapter.html?type=family&id=39

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

January 4th, 2015 17:00

Speedstep gave you links to all the drivers in a previous post.  You can also find them here under Chipset. Be sure the OS is set to Win 7 at the top of the page before downloading them.

You probably should update all of them...

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

January 4th, 2015 18:00

However, I have two unknown USB devices that are unrecognized in the device manager. Windows can't find drivers for them.

I set up a 790, but I don't remember what I had to do for the USB devices. It may be that Intel USB drivers need to be installed. If you use the device IDs displayed in the Device Manager properties, you may be able to find the appropriate drivers. 

No Events found!