Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

W

October 1st, 2007 01:00

Memory Upgrade-Maximum amount I can use in a Dimension 4700C

Hi. I have a dimension 4700C running xp media edition. It presently holds 2 528 meg sticks of memory and I am thinking of upgrading to more ram. The manual says that it will hold 2-2gig sticks for a total of 4gigs. The Kingston site seems to confirm this, but the Dell site states that it will only take 2-1 gig sticks for a total of 2 gigs. Basically, I have two questions. Which is true, the 4 gig or the 2 gig? Secondly, if it will take the 4 gig, is it worthwhile to spend the extra and get the bigger amount. I realize that windows will not recognize the total amount, but, will it use enough to make it a worthwhile investment? Thanks Willie

October 1st, 2007 01:00

This site will tell you exactly what you can and cant do.....it's recommended by senior members of a few PC forums.

Col

October 1st, 2007 23:00

Thanks for the link, Col. It gave me the 2 gig max. So, that gave me 2 going for the 2 gig limit ( Crucial and one Dell source) and 2 going for the 4 gig limit ( Kingston and a different Dell source). Talking to a Dell Tech on another matter, I asked him, and he told me a 4 gig max. I'll go with his version. The only question remaining is whether the 4 gig is a worthwhile investment of whether the difference between 2 gigs and 4 gigs of memory isn't worth the difference in price. Thanks

October 2nd, 2007 04:00

No probs at all....

I got the 4gig of RAM and my windows vista premiuim only recognises 3gig, something I didnt realise til after I bought the system. My system goes great on 3gig.

So for you, I wouldnt waster the money on getting 4gig unless you plan to upgrade to 64bit windows at a later date...of which there are more issues to consider before doing so.

Col

No Events found!