Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 13th, 2011 16:00

Memory failure detected

To whom it may concern,

I have a new desktop Dell Precision T5500, but it has hung for several times in Windows.

1) Upon restarting my desktop, I get the following message in bootup:

"Alert! Memory failure detected in DIMM 1

Strike the F1 key to continue, F2 to run the setup utility

Press F5 to run onboard diagnostics"

2) I have tried to run the onboard diagnostics, and also did a full scan right after the onboard diagnostics test, but the problem persisted.

3) When I enter Windows again and view the system details, it says that I have "24.0 GB (12.0 GB usable) installed memory (RAM)".

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Best Regards,

Jason Foo

14.4K Posts

December 13th, 2011 17:00

The error is stating that the memory module in slot #1 on your motherboard is bad or has an issue. The first step would be to remove and reseat that memory stick. You should run the memory diagnostics and report back with the results.

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

December 13th, 2011 18:00

Your first thought should be to contact Dell Support since this is a new computer under warranty. Dell will guide you in troubleshooting and replace the memory and anything else that has failed if necessary. This is a users helping users forum, not Support.

5 Posts

December 13th, 2011 18:00

How do I go about running the memory diagnostics?

5 Posts

December 13th, 2011 19:00

Yes,  I kept getting directed into this forum and the website says that I do not have the warranty to perform email technical support. I have already sent an email to the sales side and I am still waiting for a reply.

Anyway, I believe this is a Support forum since I see "Support forums" in the links above. Correct me if I am wrong.

But in any case thanks for the reply.

No Events found!