Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

February 25th, 2004 22:00

Memory problems, I think!

For the past mo I've been getting "system" and "Application" errors quite frequently. Have run all the required virus, etc, scan etc, test and nothing comes up. However, I have run "MemTest" twice now and it has noted the following degree of errors:
Feb.20 19 errors @162 cycles,with 398% coverage
Feb 25 26 errors @ 176 cycles, with 408% coverage

Without my being an expert at all, this seems to indicate that indeed I have a bad memory stick. I added one to my Dimension 2350 which only had 212 when bought. I added a cd burner and at the same time the additional memory for a total of 512mb (I think that is correct!). At any rate, from looking over the "error rpts" the problem seems to have started with a short time of adding these two. I have Roxio Easy Creator ver. 5 installed as the cd burner. I have also posted a similiar question on the software forum dealing with WinWord which seems to have the most difficulty.

Any thoughts from folks out there about indeed I do have a memory stick prob? Would appreciate any assistance or suggestions from folks.
ted

1 Rookie

• 

3.9K Posts

February 25th, 2004 23:00

Easy, remove the new stick of RAM, see if everything runs ok without it.  If problem remains, swap sticks, try again.  If system runs normally with one out of the system, replace that RAM stick.

35 Posts

February 26th, 2004 01:00

Thanks for the suggestion which reminded me why I posted in the first place!...yipes, I forgot to add that one "testing" available to me was to do as you suggested. And I will certainly do that. But being a real novice with all this kind of thing and not wanting to mess around to much with internal stuff which I've never done, I wondered if such testing as I did would pretty much eliminate other possibilities....and therefore I could avoid "taking out and putting in" actions!

Appreciate your reply, I am also wondering (and here again I will be showing my ignorance) does your info re BIOS have pertinence to what I should be doing? Thanks again,
ted

1 Rookie

• 

3.9K Posts

February 26th, 2004 02:00

Your system setup is a Phoenix Bios.  F9 enter F10 enter to Reset.

http://docs.us.dell.com/docs/systems/dim2350/syssetup.htm#1097056

Can't hurt, doubt it will help.

35 Posts

February 26th, 2004 07:00

Thanks again for taking the time to read and reply to my post. I appreciate the time you've taken to respond to my "novice" questions! If I understand it correctly, you are suggesting that I go to system setup, and by following the steps give in the link to the KB, re-set the options? Or just following the instructions pertinent to the BIOS part as per your pervious post?

Please bare with my lack of knowledge here. Years ago with a much more simpler sys ( a pentium 1, Packard Bell,800mb hd,75mhz) I did indeed go into the setup...but, geeish that had no where the amount of "things" to mess with as does this newer sys which I am only just beginning to comprehend in a limited way the information available...it is like comparing a "horse and buggy operation" with the shuttles to space!

Let me correct one thing I misstated in my first post...I had only one stick of 256mb in the original configuration, I then had another 256mb added when I had the cd burner installed.

Again, thanks for your helpful suggestions and your patience with my questions and clarifications. I'll probably end up pulling the memory modules out one at a time for the testing (when I get up the courage to open the "darn box" and mess around!!

ted

1 Rookie

• 

3.9K Posts

February 26th, 2004 11:00

No biggie, I help novices all the time.  I'm getting ready to go on-site to work on a customer's E-Machine (UGH)

My personal opinion is thus:

One of the RAM sticks is bad.  Open the case, remove the one you added, see if the system is happy.  If it is, then the RAM you removed is suspect.  Reinstall it, & see if the fault returns, if it does, then more than likely, that RAM is bad. 

If removing the new RAM doesn't resolve the issue, reinstall it, take out the Dell RAM, repeat the process above. 

If you can isolate the issue to one stick of RAM, replace that RAM

Information on BIOS, & how to reset was just bonus information.  Nice to know, not reall applicable here.

35 Posts

February 26th, 2004 17:00

Again, thanks so very much for your patient and courteous replies. I hope that I can get to the task later today, and will come back to let you know how it all turns out! Your info on BIOS is also appreciated (and specially the added note that it was provided as a "bonus" and that I need not tackle the interior of this "monster" LOL!)

Sound as tho you enjoy "tinkering" with a customer's E machine...just kidding :) LOL. It is probably not as rewarding as doing what you do here and elsewhere on the forums, helping others. I am a semi-retired clinicial social worker specializing in mental health psychiatric treatment for adolescents and the chronically mentally ill adult, and as such I still am drawn in to situations presented by family, friends, and acquaintences...and do feel pleased when I can do whatever little I can to assist them.

Again, thanks for your efforts and I will let you know how this all turns out!
ted

1 Rookie

• 

3.9K Posts

February 26th, 2004 18:00

The E-Machine service call got to be an interesting issue.  System was POSTing OK, but would not boot.  CD-Rom would only boot to 1 of 6 bootable CD's, floppy worked fine.  HDD passed all diags, I finally connected a CD Drive from another system & Viola! it would boot.  Ran the E-Machine restore CD (Ghost) & it completed, then the system started powering down during XP setup.  AHHH!

Reset the BIOS to Minimal Settings AHHH No-Video!!

Jumpered the MB to reset it, then set BIOS to best Performace Defaults, Wiped the HDD partition with a debug script & re-imaged again with the recovery cd.  HAPPY HAPPY JOY JOY!  System running normally.  Gal from the office arrived with new 52x CD-Burner, I installed it & Finished!

2.5 hours later & I'm $50.00 richer.  

I love clients who pay well. 

35 Posts

February 26th, 2004 18:00

LOL!!! I couldnt follow all that you did (some of it, yes!). But really like your attitude!! LOL! I too like clients that pay well...in one way or another!! (he he he)

Getting ready in the next several hours to take on the task of removing memory and retesting...I guess part of my reluctance has to do with the confrontation which will occur with the vendor who sold me a piece of memory which turns out to be defective (if indeed that is the resultant cause).
ted
No Events found!