Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 24th, 2011 18:00

My Dell D3000 will not boot

I went to restore my Dell desk top Dell D3000 and the screen just went blank. I have had this happen once before and a friend on mine that was a Tech. in the Navy for 20 years can over and fixed it. The screen is blue after you try to boot in safe mode. Now there is a spot in the window between reboot return click that is about 3 seconds long. That is the point where you must hold down F11 and something else to reload Windows XP or what ever you like. I just can't quite remember how Paul did it, He has  sense moved from Virginia Beach, and I will have to try many different combinations to find the reload window. Does anyone know about this Technician's trick and how it is done?

Cary

10 Elder

• 

43.7K Posts

January 24th, 2011 19:00

You don't boot in Safe Mode to run PC Restore. To reset the hard drive to exactly the way Dell shipped it, reboot and press Ctrl-F11 when you see the narrow blue band at the top of the screen, before Windows starts to load. Quickly press Ctrl and then F11, release both at the same time.

Remember that all personal files and any software you installed will be lost forever after PC Restore so you must have your files backed up on external media. You'll also have to go to the Microsoft update site as soon as PC Restore is finished to download and install all the service packs, updates, and fixes for Windows, IE, Office etc etc, otherwise your system will be wide open for malware.

Ron

5 Posts

January 24th, 2011 23:00

Thanks Ron, i am on the right track. I keep getting a (can not restore) text. Then it says to Press F1 to retry boot or F2. You said that you press them twice. I'm just not sure if my timing is right.Could you tell me step by step? It is a little fuzzy.

Thanks Ron

5 Posts

January 25th, 2011 13:00

I am getting a list of 7 different restore options, this is after I use the Control and F11 trick. It says that (can not restore) before it goes to the list. This list is not the same as the boot options.

5 Posts

January 25th, 2011 13:00

Does anyone out there know what to do when your Dell D3000 will not go to Systems restore. Is there a start up disk that I need? And where can I get one. I have a new XP disk and the Product Key, but it will not do any good if I can't restore the system.

Cary W

10 Elder

• 

43.7K Posts

January 25th, 2011 15:00

What are the options you're getting after pressing Ctrl-F11?

But if it says it can't restore, then you may have to reformat the hard drive and do a clean install... You need your Dell Windows XP Reinstallation CD plus the drivers for the hardware installed in your PC.

Ron

Edited

5 Posts

January 25th, 2011 17:00

I had a new XP disk in the C drive and I used the load to CD/DVD option. couldn't restore my old XP because the (ASMS) files was missing. I tried the d:\i386 but it wouldn't work. My old has been gone for years. I just installed a new XP program and I'm good to go. I Never had to restore the system, the partitions had failed.

Cary W

No Events found!