Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 5th, 2000 12:00

My Recycle Bin is GONE!!!!!!!!

My recyle bin is gone from my desk top! I have looked he forum and tried all the other help that was given to others with my same problem but none of them worked for me, so now what do I do? Any help with this will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
Jurassic

2 Intern

• 

18.8K Posts

May 5th, 2000 14:00

Jurassic247,

To replace your missing recycle bin, go to Start|Run, type regedit and OK. When regedit opens, navigate to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID and click the plus sign next to CLSID.

Scroll down the left pane of the Registry editor to {645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E}, which is the Class ID for the Recycle Bin icon. Click the plus sign next to it.

Double-click "Default" and in the dialog that appears enter C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\shell32.dll,32. Double-click "Full" and enter the same value. Double-click "Empty" and enter C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\shell32.dll,31. Note: the periods after ,31 and ,32 are for the purposes of this post. Don't include them in the value you enter.

a
Sorry, your browser doesn't support Java.

Want to make a hyperlink in your post, want to add a graphic or sound file, need to troubleshoot a non-working Java applet, want to build an attractive signature? These capabilities can be yours if you visit Denny's DellT@lk Tutorials.
For help in deciding what can be eliminated from your Startup list, take a look here.
Want to get rid of Network Neighborhood, change your Registered Owner name? Check out the little utilities at Delltalk Tweekz.

May 5th, 2000 16:00

Thanks for the help on this one Denny but it did not put my recycle bin back on my desktop. If you or anyone has another option it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jurassic

37 Posts

May 5th, 2000 20:00

Did you check to see if the icon is hidding behind one of the other icons on your desktop?

Move them around and you may find it. Your problem could very well be more difficult to fix but doesn't hurt to check the simple things first.

May 5th, 2000 21:00

Sorry for the message before. I got Tweak UI to work and i got my recycle bin back. Thanks to everyone for helping me with my problem.

Thanks again for everything,
Jurassic

1.1K Posts

Hi Jurassic,

Wait one--I'll download it from there and see what it's trying to do to you--I've not heard of this happening with this site.

Later,

Kay

1.1K Posts

Hi,

TweakUI can be downloaded from here, a link provided by Dan B. Microsoft seems to have removed it from their site, probably due to the fact that they do not support its use with Win 98 SE.

Later,

Kay

First off thanks for all the help, but I can't get Tweak UI to work, I downloaded it from the site you sent me but when I go to install it, it tells me to put in the Tweak UI disc to continue. I have my Windows 98SE Disc but I can't find it on there to load it. If there is another site to download it from send it please or tell me where it is on the disc.

Thanks again,
Jurassic

1.1K Posts

May 5th, 2000 22:00

Hi Jurassic,

OK, I see what the deal is--the website has a notice posted that there is a bug in the installer--this being a Microsoft file, this may not be a big surprise. I quote from their notice:

IMPORTANT
There's a bug in the installer that comes with TweakUI (it's been there since the first version for Windows 95). To install this software, just right-click on the .INF file, and select Install. If it prompts you for the disk, just point to the folder containing the files, and click Ok. That's it!

That should take care of it for you, all right? When it wants the disc, then just browse to the location where you have stored the now-unzipped files, OK? OK that and it should install for you.

Good luck,

Kay

1.1K Posts

May 5th, 2000 22:00

Excellent news--I came way late to the thread, but I'm happy for you all the same :) Thanks a lot for letting us know--

Kay
No Events found!