Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 21st, 2011 01:00

My desktop just died. I want to buy from a different company.

The title basically sums it up.  This would be the third computer I bought from Dell. The first one was great, it lasted 3 years before it died, the second one died within a year and a half, and my current one died about 6 months after I bought it. Honestly, after two bad computers I'd rather just use a different company, especially considering I got this desktop primarily for gaming, so they weren't cheap. If anyone can recommend another company to use instead of Dell I would really appreciate it.  Thanks in advance.

14.4K Posts

September 21st, 2011 11:00

what system is dead? Like Fireberd says if its only 6 mths old its under warranty.

3 Posts

September 21st, 2011 03:00

Sorry to hear about your computer. If you're looking for a gaming computer, you can try Alienware or if you want to completely get away from Dell, you can try getting your computer from Ironside Computers. I haven't personally used them, but a friend of mine bought a computer from them about a year ago and he's still pretty happy with his computer.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

September 21st, 2011 04:00

If it's only 6 months old it's under warranty.  However, if you didn't buy a "gaming computer" (one designed for gaming) to use as a gaming computer it's not Dell's fault or any PC vendor's, it's your own fault.  This post sounds more like buyers remorse for buying the wrong equipment. Also, coming on a Vendor's forum and asking about buying something other than the vendor's equipment takes a lot of gall.

3 Posts

September 22nd, 2011 03:00

I have an XPS 8100 with a radeon 5770.  It should have been able to handle games just fine, isn't that what the graphics card is for... As far as the warranty, I tried getting it repaired through the warranty, but they make it so difficult to get my computer fixed, and I really just don't have the patience or the time to deal with them. I honestly just want a working computer. I'm hoping I can that from Ironside Computers. Thanks for recommending them. I just placed an order with them. Their computers look really nice and I'm very excited to receive my new computer. This time I got a really nice graphics card, the radeon 6950. I can't wait for it to get here, thanks again.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

September 22nd, 2011 04:00

The XPS 8100 doesn't boot at all?

14.4K Posts

September 22nd, 2011 06:00

The 8100 was not marked as a gamming system it was designed as a multimedia computer and that is why the graphics card. You should still persue getting it fixed. It is a very good multimedia system. The last "Gamming" system that Dell developed was the XPS730.  And with all the problems and complaints about  non overclocking and non open systems they dropped out of that line.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

September 22nd, 2011 10:00

Dave, the Alienware line is now Dell's "gaming" systems.

3 Posts

September 23rd, 2011 16:00

Since when is a radeon 5770 considered a multimedia card. It was made by ATI with full intention of gaming.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

September 23rd, 2011 18:00

If you're looking for something other than Dell, build a system yourself.  The "Big name" systems are all the same inside - doesn't matter whose name is on the outside of the box -- the systems are, like notebooks, made by one of a small number of contract manufacturers for the company doing the selling.

If you take the cover off of a Dell, HP/Compaq, ASUS, Lenovo, etc., desktop -- you can't tell one from the other.

14.4K Posts

September 24th, 2011 07:00

Multimedia gaming  it makes no difference. Adding a graphics card does not make a system a gaming system. While the 8100 will do gaming IT WAS not marketed as a gaming system. And wouldn't one  you want a higher powered video card to process the multimedia video and be able to stream or project this on a HD or large side TV?

No Events found!