Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 12th, 2006 15:00

Need Help, BIOS update issue

I wanted to help a friend with a Dell Dimension L433C.
With W2K operating system, his HDD & CD-ROM drive were randomly freezing up.
I thought if I update his BIOS these issues would go away.  So I got to Dell web page with L433C BIOS update file (BDIML_05.exe) and created a floppy, and restarted his PC, flash BIOS update was as smooth as it can be, with successful message at the end.

Removed the floppy, and restarted, but now absolutely no video (everything is onboard) no added card.

I hear a few beeps, and automatic restart, and beeps again, and automatic restart on and on.

No video at all.  How can I put original BIOS back, or yet better, what is my next step? :smileysad:

Thanks in advance

Lost

28K Posts

July 12th, 2006 17:00

You did not read the entire document.  Page down about 2/3 of the way down and look again.

Steve

12 Posts

Thanks Steve, I have a couple of questions:

1- There is no mention of Dimension L433C in the link you provided! Do the steps still apply?

2- I do not have any video, I am not able to see some of the steps listed in the link!  Like after hitting F2 key, I do not see "entering setup". :smileyindifferent:

Mike

28K Posts

Try clearing NVRAM as per the instructions in the following post:

Steve

12 Posts

July 12th, 2006 21:00

Sorry about that.  But,

I still do not have video.  When I press the power on button, the three keyboard lights flash once, and I keep pressing the "DEL" key, but the "amber" light of the monitor does not change.

The system keep on a cycle of "trying" to reboot and keeps beeping two times every cycle but no video at all.  Two "beeps" is listed as "parity error can not be reset" and the remedy is to "reseat" the DIMMs and I do, but no good result.

Please can someone help?

LostUser

12 Posts

July 12th, 2006 23:00

Actually I accidentally found out why I had no video.

I removed DIMM1 & left DIMM0 seated, and then video came back on.

Now I have to find out why two DIMMs cause video loss.  I will probably try to put BIOS A03 back on.

So much for Dell's "upgrade"!:smileywink:

No Events found!