Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 10th, 2006 21:00

Need Help Starting computer ( replaced motherboard after lightning storm)

I replaced the mother board and now I have a computer that turns on and that is about it.  The message when I turn on the computer is :  STIKE F1 TO REBOOT F2 FOR SETUP UTILITY.  Then if I hit F1 it shows me the same message.  If I hit F2 it gives me the specs for the computer and below it there are a list of options Drive configuration, Boot sequence, etc....  In total about 11 other items beside those items it says .  Anyways please help I spent $700+ on this computer, it fried less than one month after warranty.  Dell told me what was wrong w/ it, but I had to purchase additional equipment.  Spent $200 on a new motherboard and installation, and now I still can't use it.  PLEASE HELP ANYBODY!!!!!!

5.8K Posts

August 10th, 2006 21:00

It sounds like it can not find a bootable device (e.g. your hard drive).

If you press F2 does it show the HD?

Are you sure that you have properly connected the HD data and power cables?

Can you run the Dell diagnostics (normally press F12 at boot and select diagnostics)?

Peter

1.3K Posts

August 10th, 2006 22:00

F12 may not work since the motherboard was replaced unless it came from Dell.

3 Posts

August 11th, 2006 11:00

When I hit F12 a list of options pops up,  Diagnostics is one of the choices.  When I hit Diagnostics a list appears that reads: 
Primary IDE
Drive 0 : NO IDE DEVICE
Drive 1 : NO IDE DEVICE

Secondary IDE
Drive 0 : GCR8483B Diagnostics not supported.
Drive 1 : HL DTSTGCE8483B Diagnostics not supported
No IDE Drives Installed.

The motherboard was purchased directly from Dell.

3 Posts

August 11th, 2006 11:00

When I hit F12 a list of options pops up,  Diagnostics is one of the choices.  When I hit Diagnostics a list appears that reads: 
Primary IDE
Drive 0 : NO IDE DEVICE
Drive 1 : NO IDE DEVICE

Secondary IDE
Drive 0 : GCR8483B Diagnostics not supported.
Drive 1 : HL DTSTGCE8483B Diagnostics not supported
No IDE Drives Installed.

The motherboard was purchased directly from Dell.

5.8K Posts

August 11th, 2006 13:00

Basically, that tells you that your HD is not detected. (I am presuming that you have two CD/DVD drives in your machine and those are the drives on the secondary IDE channel.)

If this is correct, I would check to make sure the HD cables are secure. If they are, it sounds like your HD has failed. When you open the case and start the machine, can you hear the HD spinning?

Peter
No Events found!