Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

W

August 23rd, 2008 23:00

New Video card, no change... ... ...

Hi,

Really strange,

I upgraded my computer the other day by installing a Computer Power & Cooling "500watt Dell" psu and then cranking in a BFG NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT OC video card.

I followed directions, made sure I removed (through add/remove) the old video card driver, plugged in the new card and even downloaded the latest driver. 

Odd, when I turn on the computer, it doesn't tell me its found new hardware...

I put in the cd for the new device like the nvidea instructions tell me and download the drivers. I have no NVIDIA control panel. I see the nvidia card listed with no problems in the hardware devices and my system rating has gone up because of the card, but there are no changes in my graphics from the Geforce 7300LE that came with the computer originally.

Is something causing a block on this new hardware???

Puzzled...

Watersign

Dell Inspiron 531

320GB Serial ATA 2 Hard Drive 7200RPM

Windows Vista Home Premium

Video Card Old - NVIDIA GeForce 128MB 7300LE

Video Card New- NVIDIA GeForce 512MB 8800 GT OC

Message Edited by Watersign on 08-23-2008 08:24 PM
Message Edited by Watersign on 08-23-2008 08:43 PM

12.1K Posts

August 24th, 2008 09:00

What do you mean " There are no changes in my graphics " ?  You will see differences in games, but not to normal applications.  Please explain what you meant by no changes.... In what exactly ? 

My Vista system does not tell me either that it found new hardware, so I do not worry about it.  Did you install the newest driver from www.nvida.com that has the PhysX driver as well ?  Unknown how you went about trying to find the nVidia Control panel but two ways of finding it are below.

Right Click your desktop > Click on Display Settings > Advanced Settings > Click your video card in the upper right of the next box > Click on Start nVidia Control Panel

Or....

Click on Start > Control Panel > Apperance and Personalization > Left side click on Additional Options then hopefully you will see nVidia Control Panel

The way I do it, though it seems you did it correctly anyway

Proper way to install a video card linked below:

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=965852

Step # 1

Download the most current driver for the video card, and have it placed on the desktop for later install. Try not to use the video card driver from the CD that comes with the card, since they are somewhat out of date. You still may if you wish to.

If it’s an nVidia card, go to www.nvidia.com

Advisory..

If you are going from an ATI video card to a NVIDIA or vs. versa, one should uninstall the old driver first, from Add/Remove program, than use a driver cleaner, to get all the old driver code completely off the system. Use the driver cleaner twice. If you are going from an nVidia card to another nVidia card (Same for the ATI card), you may not have to use the driver cleaner, but I do to be on the safe side, but many, including me, have not seen any issues with this procedure. Others may have.

1. Turn off the system, unplug the power cord, and push in on the systems power button for about 5 seconds to discharge the system further.

2. Remove the old card, and install the new card, firmly.

3. Now, if required for your new video card, attach any power cable to the card itself and the other end to a power input from your power supply, in order to get the video card to work properly. Your systems power supply may have the extra power 4 pin or 6 pin connector needed.

Driver Sweeper. Freeware program...

http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=1655

Or

Driver Cleaner 1.5 free edition linked below...

http://drivers.softpedia.com/get/Other-DRIVERS-TOOLS/Others/Driver-Cleaner-Professional-15.shtml

4. Now disable your Anti Virus software, and disconnect the modem at this time.

5. Install the newer video card driver from where you downloaded it, than if necessary, go into the Display Properties to reset the monitor resolution after it reboots. You are almost done. Now restart the Anti Virus program, and connect the modem.

No Events found!