Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

T

August 14th, 2008 21:00

No Display On Startup

This morning I turned on my computer without a problem.  Windows Vista automatically downloaded updates and installed/restarted my computer. 

Then the problem started: the computer restarted and the hard drive light was flashing but my monitor wasn't recieving a signal I believe.  The monitor was blank with the
"orange" colored light on which is usually green when it's active and the PC is turned on.

I tried shutting down the computer manually by holding down the power button only to have the same problem persist.  None of the warning lights "1, 2, 3, 4" remain lit up like they're supposed to when an error or problem is found.

I've tried using different monitors and differeny keyboards, mice, etc., and the problem still perists.  I used 3 seperate monitors and each recieve no signal even though the hard drive light is flashing and the computer seems to be running normally.  Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.  I am currently writing this from an old PC I had stored away.

2.1K Posts

August 14th, 2008 22:00

Do you see the Dell logo on the monitor on the initial boot start before the display goes dark?

August 14th, 2008 22:00

Nope, nothing displays at all.

I had hoped that I would get the Logo screen so I could at least try and restore the computer somehow or try starting the computer in Safe Mode, but the display just remains blank.

Message Edited by therebelseven on 08-14-2008 04:42 PM

August 14th, 2008 23:00

I'm starting to think the same thing.  There are two connectors on the card and I've tried both but the problem still persists. 

The power button itself always remains solid green as I think is usual on xps dell models.  The hard drive and diagnostic lights flash on and off as they always have during start up and they stop flashing as they usually do shortly after. The hard drive light continues to flash, it'll idle and then start up again, but again that seems normal/usual to me.  I interpret that as an indicator that my hard drive is still operating normally.

I hope I've answered your question. 

First of all, I'd like to say thank you to those who have replied thus far, your help is truly appreciated.

To answer your questions, yes I have tried each of those things including using several monitors each with their own cable.  I've tried removing the card from the card slot; I've tried disconnecting and reconnecting the wires plugged into it.  I've thought of placing it into another card slot but the video card uses the single pci-express slot so the card doesn't fit into any of the other pci slots.

I forgot to mention that the card's fan works just fine, in fact it's the only fan that seems to turn on, none of the other fans in the computer seem to be on which isn't usual.  I'm not sure if this is normal or not.

Message Edited by therebelseven on 08-14-2008 05:07 PM

1 Rookie

• 

139 Posts

Did you try using a different cable to connect to the monitor? Did you try reseating the video card and all connections? I would also move the video card to a different slot if available as a last resort.

14.4K Posts

Yes this add even more to a video card issue. The power button will be green if all things are well. The sequence of your lights and hd light would indicate that the system is booting up you just can't see it.

I would highly suggest video card replacement at this time.

14.4K Posts

On the outset it appears that the video card might have failed. The fact that you do not even get a video signal on posts is further reason to suspect it.
IF the card has two connectors try the other one.

OF course at this point other things cannot be rulled out. What is the condition of the power button light? note it's color and flashing/solid condition. Also you can boot the system and watch the diagnostic lights as they change during the post and boot process. 

Do you seen rapid and changeing harddisk light activity?

1 Rookie

• 

139 Posts

August 15th, 2008 01:00

@Davet50 wrote:

On the outset it appears that the video card might have failed. The fact that you do not even get a video signal on posts is further reason to suspect it.

Seems to be the case that the card failed to me as well. Didn't want to jump to that conclusion. But everything is pointing towards that.

August 15th, 2008 04:00

Thank you everyone for all the help.  The problem was indeed the video card.  I was able to stick an old pci video card I had in one of my old comps and was able to get it to work.

Now I have issues with games that I play crashing and recieving driver errors but that's something I'll deal with another time.

Thank you once again everyone for all your help, I really appreciate it. :)

No Events found!