Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 8th, 2005 02:00

No PS/2 port - Help!

I have a keyboard that I need to connect to my XPS 400, but my XPS does not have a PS/2 port.  I connected the keyboard with a USB adapter, but I get a "USB Device Not Recognized" message.  When I click on the message, I find that "no drivers are installed for this device."  I don't have any software or drivers for this keyboard (it's a Gateway Anykey programmable, pretty old but I refuse to part with it).  I have used this keyboard for years with Windows XP and a PS/2 connection, so I don't understand what the problem is. Can anyone help?  Thanks!

932 Posts

December 8th, 2005 04:00

PS2 ports are not included on the system by default, but you could have added one through a PCI adapter when you configured the system (unless you bought it pre-configured). PS2 ports have been around forever, and are finally being phased out (along with serial and parallel ports) in favor of (the superior) USB 2.0. Most of Dell's low to mid range systems, and small form factor systems, seem to have eliminated the ports. Your options:

a) Buy a PCI card PS2 adapter
b) buy a USB keyboard
c) locate drivers for your keyboard to use it with a USB adapter.

Message Edited by CTskydiver on 12-08-2005 01:16 AM

40 Posts

December 8th, 2005 04:00

USB to PS/2 adapter

38 Posts

December 8th, 2005 12:00

Yep,

I had same thing happen to me. I just went to Best Buy and purchased a PS2 to USB adapter. Now my keyboard works just fine.

And don't worry about drivers for your keyboard, you won't need them. I have a first version Microsoft ergo keyboard and once I connected it to the adapter I just started using the keyboard and it works fine.

Message Edited by butchie_t on 12-08-2005 08:04 AM

932 Posts

December 8th, 2005 14:00

Hmm, didn't know they made them go the other way. If they do, why add the ports the computer via PCI card like Dell does? And didn't he say his PS2 mouse > USB computer adapter was NOT working sans drivers?

Message Edited by CTskydiver on 12-08-2005 12:00 PM

40 Posts

December 8th, 2005 15:00

Probably because the industry is moving away from PS/2....
No Events found!