Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

T

September 12th, 2009 04:00

No Sound After Clean Install Of Windows XP Dell Dimension 8400

I reinstalled XP Pro SP2 and cannot get any sound.  Device Manager indicates "?" preceeding Other Devices, Multimedia Audio Controller, Video Controller, Video Controller VGA Compatible. Device status for each says: The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28) Devices listed under Sound Video and Game Controllers are working properly.  Sound card is Sound Blaster Live 24-bit Advanced HD Audio.  I reinstalled the software for this device.  Tried to locate drivers on the Dell reinstallation CD (XP Pro) and the Resource CD .  Speakers are Creative Inspiron T3000 with internal drivers...I checked their site, no drivers to download. Sound worked properly before the clean installation.

Suggestions to resolve will be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

September 12th, 2009 05:00

Did you install the Intel Chipset Drivers?  These drivers MUST be installed before installing the sound drivers.  On a new install the required sequence is (1) Install Windows (2) Install Intel Chipset Drivers (3) Install Device Drivers including Sound, Video, etc. 

If the chipset drivers were skipped usually you can install them then the sound and it works OK.  On a few isolated cases a complete and correct sequence install is required.

16 Posts

September 12th, 2009 06:00

Yes....I inserted the resource CD and verified it was installed, reinstalled the Intel Chipset and rebooted still no sound. Device manager shows same "?" preceeding all listed under Other Devices.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

September 12th, 2009 07:00

Did you reinstall the device drivers AFTER you install the chipset drivers?  The drivers need to be installed or reinstalled after installing the chipset drivers.  Audio, Video, etc. 

One of the prime things the chipset drivers do is define what devices are on or attached to the motherboard and the reason they must be installed first.

The chipset drivers (or the lack of) is 99% of this type of problem on a reinstall.

16 Posts

September 12th, 2009 07:00

Perhaps I did not install the drivers in the correct sequence after OS install. The chipset installs after OS, then video, sound, modem, network, keyboard, mouse.  I am not sure I followed this path so is there a way to correct this situation without a complete reinstall of XP and the drivers etc.? Thanks, Tom

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

September 12th, 2009 16:00

In most cases, if you install the chipset drivers and then the device drivers, such as the sound it will take care of the problem.  As I noted in a few isolated cases it takes a complete new and correct sequence install.

16 Posts

September 12th, 2009 17:00

Thank you for the  advice.  I reinstalled the OS then followed the driver installs, in order as you indicated.  Everything works fine!

Thanks again Fireberd, I appreciate your help. Regards, Tom

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

September 13th, 2009 04:00

Thanks for the feedback and that it's working.  Too bad you had to do a complete reinstall but sometimes that is needed.

No Events found!