Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

H

July 30th, 2008 10:00

No audio on new Vostro 200

I have a new Vostro 200, running with XP Pro.  It has never made any of the normal Windows sounds, and now I have bought some speakers, which are working (power light is on, and work fine with the other computer, but there is no sound.

A friend has the same problem with her new Vostro desktop, her old speakers don't seem to work (were working fine with the old computer).  I have tried the Dell support page, and looked to see if I need to download a driver, but not sure which one I may need.  When I look in the device manager, it says the audio is working fine, so I'm stumped.  Not much techie know how I'm afraid!!

Any ideas?

Message Edited by hah on 07-30-2008 12:29 PM

53 Posts

July 30th, 2008 11:00

The standard Vostro 200 with onboard sound (ie no extra audio card) needs the Realteak ALC888 HD Audio driver.

In case it's not yet installed on your System, please download and install it from DELL's support page here.

What I don't understand though: your device manager shows it would work? Normally, when just the driver is missing, I thought the device manager would show a yellow question mark next to the audio device.

Message Edited by Richardus on 07-30-2008 02:13 PM

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

July 30th, 2008 12:00

Many times, if the Device Manager shows a device as "working properly", if you uninstall the device in the Device Manager then restart the PC and Windows will "find new hardware" and reinstall the Device.  This fixes a lot of device problems.

I would do that before reinstalling drivers, especially on a new PC.  And, make sure you have "powered" analog computer speakers (ones that have their own built in power amplifier) and that you are connecting to the GREEN speaker jack on the rear.  Also check the Volume Control panel to make sure the volume is not turned down or muted. 

If you still do not get any audio from the rear speaker jack/speakers, plug a headset into the front panel headset jack and see if you get any audio there (and do not leave anything plugged into the front headset jack as that disables the rear speaker audio output).

2 Posts

July 30th, 2008 14:00

Hurrah!  It's working - put the jack into the green one at the back, and restarted, and reinstalled the device, and now I have sound. 

Thanks so much!!!

No Events found!