Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 21st, 2009 12:00

No sound on my Dell Dimension 8100

My friend gave me his old Dell Dimension 8100 and after formatting the computer, I installed a copy of Windows XP I had from my old computer (I guess this computer was originally running Windows ME). I have the computer running perfectly fine and it's all up to date, but I don't seem to have sound. When I go into the device manager, it doesn't show a sound card anywhere. Also, when I click on the "sounds" icon in the control panel, it says, "No audio device" and won't let me play with any of the settings.

How do I..
1) get the computer to detect that the sound card is in fact plugged into the mother board and
2) install the sound card and any current drivers?

Thanks for all your help.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

October 21st, 2009 13:00

HERE is the Dell drivers for the Voyetra Turtle Beach.  It says it is XP compatible so you can try.  But to be truthful, if that is the sound card you have we haven't had much luck getting it to work in XP - most that have installed XP have installed a new, compatible, sound card. 

Dell does not support XP on this model so there are very few Dell drivers for the devices.

October 23rd, 2009 16:00

I download that files (and a few others from the Dell website) and they all cancel themselves and say, "Cannot download the application.  The application is missing required files.  Contact application vendor for assistance."

I went into the device manager and I found a yellow question mark with "Multimedia Audio Controller" so I clicked it and it says, "The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)  To reinstall the drivers for this device, click Reinstall Driver."

At this point I went "reinstall drivers" and made it go through the manual process.. trying to install it myself.  It asked me to select hardware and I chose "sound, video and game" then came across a menu which has a few game ports and 2 that are "Crystal Semiconductor."  Under that it shows Crystal SoundFusion.  When I searched into Google, I found the deployment of these sound cards:

This device is most commonly seen on the following machines (as established by our DriverGuide Toolkit).
    * Dell Computer Corporation: Dimension 8100

There's my model... so is that the right sound card?

When I click on the first one, it brings up "Crystal SoundFusion(tm)" and "Unsupported customized Crystal SoundFusion audio Device."  Does that mean anything?

When I click the second one (Crystal Semiconductor Corperation), it shows "Crystal SoundFusion(tm) Cs4281 WDM Audio"

Anyone that can help me with any of this is much appreciated.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

October 24th, 2009 05:00

Dell DOES NOT support Windows XP on this model (there are no XP drivers) and I should have caught that on my first response - sorry.  You will need Windows XP specific sound drivers, for whatever sound you have (the Crystal Audio is not listed in the available sound drivers in the Dell downloads).  You will also need Windows XP specific drivers for the other hardware devices too. 

The best I can offer, if you can get everything else working in XP is to buy an XP compatible sound card.  The 8100 does have PCI expansion slots so you should be able to find a sound card.  The least expensive SoundBlaster is the Audigy SE (about $30).

October 24th, 2009 09:00

I thought about doing just that.  All this drama with the sound card is really getting old and I figure if I buy a new one it'll work fine and I'll know exactly what I have from now on.  Thanks for the help.

10 Posts

November 22nd, 2010 11:00

Brandon

I'm having the exact same problem, let me know if you find out anything. Dave

No Events found!