Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

B

October 31st, 2005 17:00

Not Dell, but...

I've seen general hardware questions about building systems so I hope a non-Dell question is allowed.

My brother's old Compaq Deskpro EN has had troubles recently. First, the onboard video went corrupt. Everything was in shades of green only and some things wouldn't show at all. It has an AGP slot so I gave him my old 128 Rage Pro. It doesn't boot from it and will only start upon the onboard video. I remember reading here to disable it. I did, but it still works from there even when disabled and the AGP slot still won't work (it originally had some wierd 4MB chip in the AGP slot). So I put a 2MB PCI card in for Windows but his games won't work and it gives a "not enough resources" error even with the on board video disabled. It works through PCI with fine colors, but as though there are no drivers are installed even though they are (example: Windows drag real laggy and winsows scroll laggy). Today, I brought it in my room and removed the battery and hit the button to clear CMOS. I installed the AGP card once more and turned it on. I got one long beep followed by two short ones. It's not a Dell, but I believe that means a memory error. So I reset them and tried all three combinations I could for the two chips and three spots. Nothing. I finally got it to work by using one chip alone (128MB though) and it worked through AGP. Good, so he said he'd live if the game worked again. I put it in his room and get the error sounds again no matter what memory combination (single or both). No video output gives any signal and I've even tried a third different memory chip. Nothing. I tried removing the battery and clearing CMOS countless and times and nothing. It just gives one long beep and two short ones follow it. I think it may be the motherboard.

My parents are considering either replacing the motherboard or buying a new computer. He just wants to play Red Alert 2 and Renegade (although graphics are sub-par on that, he's twelve and said the ones had before were good enough). Before I tell them that's needed, I just want to make sure there isn't some easy fix or mistake I made somewhere.

Edit: When I said the onboard graphics were corrupt, just to verify, I know it isn't a driver issue. It's hardware reated. Everything is in shades of green in the BIOS too and before Windows loads anything.

Message Edited by Bobman101 on 10-31-2005 02:56 PM

1.6K Posts

October 31st, 2005 18:00

fixing an old pc is hard because you will need to find the parts which will be hard. Look for a cheap dell dimension 2400 that should do fine. They are entry level computers. If your brother is looking for something like that, it will be a useful "all around" computer. hope that helps.
No Events found!