Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 22nd, 2010 21:00

Ok..so this is a really stupid question (maybe not)

I am trying to do a premptive strike so I DON"T end up on the BSOD or HELP! side of these forums.  I am looking at either a new laptop XPS, Studio, ALienware, OR desktop.  I am coming in $500 over budget every single configuration.  And it is because I do not know just  how upgradable a system is.

Of course, the laptops are limited.  I have an Inspiron now I have added a second drive to and upped the RAM to 4GB.  That's about all one can do for upgrading laptops, correct?  You are stuck with video (even if get dedicated which this was to be but was NOT), stuck with processor, etc.

Looking at Desktops - say the 9100 what IS upgradable?  What can I get at purchase time that can later be upgraded (beside MB)?  Hard drives?  Are there additonal ram slots?  you know what I am getting at.  I am hitting all the top options for fear later I will be stuck and told "sorry, that model does not have the proper configuation to allow upgrade" of whatever.

Same issue with Alienware - of which I see some unhappy users. 

So aside from the upgradability of these class desktop (high performance - I am in I.t. and do not do gaming, but heavy MM use, website design and development,and I stream video daily.  ALmost thrown own TV for downloading video or watching streaming online.  The download?  Needs LOTS of storage.  Have a 2TB WD drive that must be returned, so I need all onboard I can get until tHAT issue is fixed.

Second question to all:  WHO IS HAPPY WITH THEIR PURCHASE?  And if so, what was it? Budget is at or just over $2,500.

Can ya'll help me out?:  Don't want to repeat the mistake with the laptop (this is a replacement as the first was total lemon and even THIS one has had 2 HD failures + heat sink issues, etc.)

Any advice from you experts and happy owners of either Laptop OR DT are so very appreciated,

Gin in NC  :emotion-7:

Inspiron 1720; 4GB RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate, 250GB + 150 GB HD (both about to red line), BT, wireless A/B/G (I'll need N capable to handle provider's B/G), network totally wireless with netgear modem, 2nd network runs with verizon's MiFi (VERY NICE)....

PS:  The above is now out of warranty and time to move up in power, performance, and storage. AND able to upgrade - unless there is really an awesome laptop that is ready to roll as is.  I have become spoiled to laptops, but have never been without a DT until a year ago when a trojan took it down.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

July 23rd, 2010 04:00

There is a "What Do I Buy" section.  Best place for your "what do I buy" questions.  Click Me

July 25th, 2010 13:00

thank you fireberd.  the lists of forums and such are so large, i did not see, nor did think, of one whose name should have bitten me if it was a snake!

Have clicked the link and going to that tab now. Thanks for steering me in the right direction.  But when I post this same question on that board, will I get HONEST answers from REAL owners?  Not just some sort of auto reponse compiled for forum use that is the same info I would find if I hit "Help Me Choose"link on product and components listings (i.e. what is presented when customizing any selected system)?

Guess I will find out!  Thanks again!

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

July 25th, 2010 16:00

There are real people there.

412 Posts

July 25th, 2010 20:00

Aravngbich-
I'll be happy to help you pick out something. I'm a big computer fan & stay up on all the latest tech stuff. I've also got access to methods of finding out the specs regarding new computers & such.

Post in the "Help Me Choose" forums section & I'll be happy to guide you.

No Events found!