Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

SP

February 17th, 2016 08:00

OptiPlex 3040 USB ports stop working when installing driver

Just done a new install clean install of Windows 7 x64 using a Dell Windows 7 x64 dvd and just having an issue with it's USB ports.

Clean install and no drivers installed, the mouse felt a bit sluggish when moving the cursor around and usb drives aren't being detected when inserting them.  Went to the Dell driver page for the OptiPlex 3040 and downloaded the drivers, all was going well until the Intel USB 3.0 eXtensible driver was installed, dated 26th January 2016, and the usb ports stopped working.

Outside of windows, the usb keyboard and mouse work fine, as soon as you boot into Windows, it immediately stops working.  The machine is on a company network and coincidently, I can no longer ping the machine either as I was going to see if I can RDP to the machine.  Network connection does still work as when the USB drivers were being installed, it was also downloading a file which carried on until completion.

This is the second time I've attempted this as the exact same thing happened when I rebuilt the machine yesterday to try to resolve the issue and the usb ports stopped working then when the USB drivers were installed.

1 Message

February 18th, 2016 06:00

I am having the same problem.  Did a new install of windows 7 it was working until latest updates when on with the usb3 drivers!

February 19th, 2016 00:00

After another reinstall, I've used the USB drivers off of Windows Update and it's working much better.

No Events found!