Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

C

June 30th, 2017 14:00

OptiPlex GX280 Power Issue

A strange phenomenon is occurring where if I turn the computer off by either pressing the power button when on the BIOS screen or pressing "Shut down" in the operating system, everything but the graphics card and fan power line shuts off, so that means the fan goes as fast as it can. Here is a video I made to demonstrate the issue:

Does anyone have any suggestion that will help me fix the issue and have the power management working correctly again?

4 Operator

• 

3.4K Posts

June 30th, 2017 16:00

Thank you for your message.

How long have you been having this issue?

Was there any recent software hardware changes made?

This could be caused by the audio driver.

Download and install the latest version of the Analog Devices AD198x integrated audio driver, perform the following steps:

1. Browse to www.support.dell.com and click the Drivers and Downloads link.

2. Choose one of the two methods for searching for audio drivers for your computer, then click Go: ◦ Type your service tag in the Service Tag field.

◦ Click to select the appropriate computer type and model from the Product Type and Product Model drop-down menus.

3. Click to select the appropriate choices from the drop-down menus, then click Find Downloads: ◦ Select the appropriate operating system in the Choose an Operating System menu.

4. Click to select the Audio Drivers category.

5. Click Analog Devices ADI 198x Integrated Audio.

6. If you agree to the Dell Software License Agreement, then click Download Now, install & restart the computer.

Disable sleep and hibernate in power options & make sure that the power button option is set to shut down.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

June 30th, 2017 18:00

Check the condition of the capacitors (can shaped devices on the system board).  If any are bulging or leaking -- a common event with this model -- the mainboard needs to be replaced (and it's a good idea to replace the power supply along with the mainboard).

20 Posts

June 30th, 2017 21:00

I did some investigation and, as peculiar as it sounds, it's actually because I had my RAM arranged in a certain way. I had two 2 GB 2Rx8 memory modules in DIMM slots 1 and 2 (with the white clips), and two 1 GB 2Rx8 memory modules in DIMM slots 3 and 4 (with the black clips). I swapped their positions and now it shuts down properly. Thank you for your help, but neither of those suggestions would have applied here.

No Events found!