Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 22nd, 2017 08:00

Optiplex 3050 won't boot with 2 Displays Plugged in (DP & HDMI)

We are having an issue where a newly purchased Optiplex 3050 is not booting (power light comes on but no other response) with displays plugged into both the display and HDMI ports. If one display is plugged into either the display port or HDMI, the machine powers on and boots as normal.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

November 27th, 2017 07:00

Before we can troubleshoot, which Optiplex 3050?

Mini Tower
Small Form Factor
Micro Form Factor

2 Posts

December 5th, 2017 06:00

Hijacking this question since my experiences are equal to the issue that travisadrian has:

Dell 3050 MFF, no chance connecting two monitors on both build-in display adapters at the same time (DP & HDMi).

I tried a workaround:

Got me a DeLock adapter: 1x 1DP to 2x 1DP

If i connect the adapter to the running 3050 everything works fine. I can duplicate the screens, i can extend the screens, all good.

After a reboot the Dell 3050 does not power back up: powerbutton light switches to orange and becomes unresponsive and does not react to pressing nor holding it down to powerdown. After the power supply is removed for half a minute and with the DeLock adapter removed the Dell 3050 powers up and if i put back in the adapter all works fine again.

So, we have multiple issues here:

1. DP & HDMi on a Dell Optiplex 3050 MFF simultaneous does not work (neither or only one monitor works)

2. With DeLock Displayport 1.2 Splitter (87665) attached to the 3050 the system does not boot nor power-up

3. after boot attaching the DeLock splitter all works fine

Kind Regards for your quick response

Koen

December 15th, 2017 14:00

It is the Micro Form Factor Optiplex 3050.

December 15th, 2017 14:00

Sorry, it is a micro form factor. Just as Koen is experiencing, we can connect second display no problem once the computer is booted. Thanks for your help.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

December 18th, 2017 09:00

So after boot and into the operating system, both monitors work when attached to the DP and HDMI ports. But not from a restart or power off, then on.

Does the system fan in the 3050 MFF spin up at all on boot?
Does the HDD activity LED light up?

With only one monitor attached, boot into the BIOS. Are you both running version 1.7.4? Change the Video Primary Display from Auto to Intel HD Graphics. Exit saving change. Boot into Windows. Shutdown. Connect the second monitor. Power on. Any difference in the issue?

2 Posts

December 19th, 2017 01:00

Hi Chris

After a reboot, no fan activity and the power LED only turns orange and becomes unresponsive - the only way to force a restart is to cut the power and reconnect it again.

I can't try your solution any more since i replaced the 3050MFF with a Optiplex 5050SFF . customer had to be able to work again.

4 Posts

December 27th, 2017 12:00

Following since I have same issue on 2 OptiPlex 3050.

1 Message

December 27th, 2017 12:00

I have the same issue with 3050.  Following since nothing I attempted has resolved the issue

January 2nd, 2018 07:00

This issue for my users has been found to occur when using MS Word or Excel and also when watching online videos at Full Screen.

The only temp solution that I have found so far is to change the screen resolution as the issue only happens when using monitors that are 22" or lower.

Tried updating the BIOS, other drivers and running Windows Updates but no luck with a resolve. Looking forward to a fix.

No Events found!