Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 15th, 2013 16:00

Optiplex 7010 SFF multiple hard drives?

I'm looking into getting the Optiplex 7010 Small form factor with a 2.5" drive and then adding another 2.5" drive later.

Does anyone know if the drive caddy will take another 2.5" drive without any special configuration?  If not, will I just need to replace with a 3.5" bay converter that takes 2x 2.5" drives?

Additionally, from the owner's manual, it seems like there is only one 12v connector on the motherboard.  Is there enough space in the SFF to accomodate a 6" SATA Y-splitter to power the drives?  I know it's not a big piece, but some configs are so cramped that I have to ask.

Thanks!

kftgr 

4 Operator

• 

1.8K Posts

May 15th, 2013 17:00

Hi kftgr,

OptiPlex 7010 Small Form Factor 2.5" hard drive caddy can accomadate two 2.5" hard drives. You can use a Y splitter to power the hard drives and also refer the image provided below:

Please let me know if you need further information.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

May 15th, 2013 17:00

Hi kftgr,

According to the technical guide, the 7010 does support two 2.5" hard drives. I assume there's either an available power connector or room for a splitter if the case can hold two drives.

1 Message

August 16th, 2013 14:00

We order several OptiPlex 7010 Small Form Factor PCs and they came with the 3.5" drive. After reading a bit online I found that you could have two drives but they would be 2.5" drives. After contacting tech support twice I was told that the current caddy that held the current 3.5" drive would work for using two 2.5" drives.

I am assuming that you can either have 1 3.5" or 2 2.5" drives not one of each but I also the caddy above does not look like what is in the machine and a search of Dell's website did not find what you refer to as "OptiPlex 7010 Small Form Factor 2.5" hard drive caddy" available as a part.

Is there a part number for this? Or a link to where it could be ordered from your site?

1 Message

January 27th, 2014 16:00

Will the caddy have room for two higher profile 15mm thick 2TB hard drives like the Western Digital WD20NPVX ?

No Events found!