Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

January 8th, 2016 13:00

Optiplex 7020 BIOS A07/A06 causing USB issues

We use a master image at work to set up all our Dell computers. Worked on my first Optiplex 7020 today and after cloning the drive and running the initial Windows set up, both the USB keyboard and mouse ceased to work on the first boot into Windows. I could boot into safe mode and they worked fine, but rebooting into normal mode wouldn't change. I tried all the USB ports available, also tried a PS/2 mouse and keyboard.

I eventually downgraded the BIOS from A07 to A06, no difference. Then I downgraded from A06 to A05; voilà, keyboard and mouse are now working fine.

It could be a driver issue in our master image and something specific in the BIOS. Just posting this in case anyone else runs into a similar issue; downgrade the BIOS.

6 Posts

February 19th, 2016 06:00

I am seeing the same issue on our PCs. I downloaded and installed the A08 bios version available Feb 2016... still seeing the USB issue.

17 Posts

May 29th, 2016 13:00

We are now seeing this issue with ALL our Optiplex 7020 small form factor machines. This is a major issue.

Here are our observations:

1. Always occurs after a reboot.

2. Does not occur after every reboot.

3. Once it starts happening, it usually starts happening across reboots.

4. If I boot into Safe Mode, it does not occur for that session. However, it continues happening when rebooting into Normal Mode.

5. When it happens, all USB devices do not even get power. No lights on any USB devices.

6. When it happens, the power button on the computer is still able to do a shutdown without holding the power button down. However, after the shutdown begins, it never finishes. Windows forever says "Shutting Down."

7. The only way that I can seemingly make the USB devices work is to turn off the computer, disconnect all USB devices, turn on the computer, and then reconnect the USB devices. That seems to do it.

8. When the issue starts happening, the BIOS still sees the keyboard and mouse. It is limited to Windows, as far as I can see.

We are running Windows 7 x64 Enterprise. No crazy programs loaded. Happens with or without the chipset driver loaded.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

May 29th, 2016 16:00

BIOS is up to A09 now, and amongst other things it is enhanced to "...improve the USB compatibility" so you might want to try this new one.

17 Posts

May 29th, 2016 18:00

We will try it. Do you know if this version specifically addresses that issue, or is it something for actual USB compatibility?

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

May 29th, 2016 18:00

All I know is what it says on the page for the latest BIOS, as noted above.

Have no idea what is meant by "improve the USB compatibility" or if the latest version addresses your issue or not. The only way to know is to test it... 

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

May 30th, 2016 20:00

I pinged my Dell tech contacts...

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

May 31st, 2016 07:00

Using multiple systems, they need to do a side by side page comparison of the working Bios and later non-working Bios to find which option was changed, disabled, or removed.

6 Posts

June 1st, 2016 06:00

The only thing that has worked for us is installing the updated video driver. After installing this, usb works.

1 Message

July 21st, 2016 07:00

Do we know if this BIOS update has Fixed this issue, Its driving me insane.

17 Posts

July 21st, 2016 12:00

The BIOS update does not fix it.

I'm not sure what to think now, except this: Dell needs to get on the f'ing ball with this.  This is becoming a major issue.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

July 21st, 2016 12:00

You might want to go to Intel's download site and use their wizard to scan your PC and look for updated chipset drivers for your hardware and version of Windows.

Be sure to manually set a System Restore point before installing any new drivers, just to be safe...

17 Posts

July 27th, 2016 17:00

When I try to install Intel drivers, I always get am error stating I need to use Dell's driver

Dell needs to resolve this. Whatever it takes.

1 Message

February 26th, 2017 20:00

I have just installed BIOS A10 from A01 and everything appeared fine until normal boot to Win7 x64 desktop. No USB functionality at all...no mouse, no flash-drive, no external USB devices. Nothing! All ports are dead. I had to search for my old PS/2 wired mouse to do anything. It appears to be a Windows problem as the USB mouse worked within the BIOS setup. I have checked for driver updates within Device Manager but no luck. Any suggestions?

No Events found!