Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 6th, 2017 21:00

Optiplex 780, eSATA problem

I have two Optiplex 780 machines running Windows 7 Pro. Both do the same thing. Since I have an eSATA port, I bought an external HDD for backups. I switched the bios from legacy (SATA drive) to Raid/ACHI, rebooted and then changed the bios to include external eSATA. Rebooted and I get a repair screen or start normally. If I try to start normally it reboots to the same screen. If I do the repair it hangs up forever until I shut it off.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

December 7th, 2017 08:00

You stated, "I bought an external HDD for backups.", "changed the bios to include external eSATA". To me, that sounds like a simple storage drive (BIOS-Drives, check External SATA). To use it as storage, you should not have changed the original boot drive SATA operation or the BIOS- General- Boot Sequence? Or are you trying to "boot" from the eSATA HDD?

7 Posts

December 7th, 2017 09:00

No..I am not trying to boot from the external esata drive......I had to change the win7 machines to external esata..... In the Bios,  the boxes were not checked for external esata. I had to check the boxes...but to do that I had to go in and check the AHCI box...and then check the external esata box.

That is when everything went wrong on the reboot.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

December 7th, 2017 14:00

Can you boot back into the BIOS and change the AHCI back to Legacy, and then boot to the original drive?

7 Posts

December 7th, 2017 16:00

Already done that.  But that doesn't let use the esata drive as storage.......

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

December 8th, 2017 05:00

We no longer have access to these 2009 models in our lab. Hopefully, one of the other 780 users can chime in with their thoughts. Be sure that you have installed the last BIOS we released on 9/3/13, A15. And that you installed the latest Intel drivers.

7 Posts

December 8th, 2017 06:00

Done all of that to no avail......

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

December 13th, 2017 07:00

You cant switch drive ports and SATA Operation from LEGACY ATA to AHCI or the other way round.

This will cause STOP 0x7B INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE..

Advanced format Drives REQUIRE INTEL RST  F6 drivers.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/20104/

• STOR_F6_32_10.1.0.1008_PV.exe - for 32-bit versions of Windows 7*, Windows Vista* or Windows XP*
  • STOR_F6_64_10.1.0.1008_PV.exe - for 64-bit versions of Windows 7, Windows Vista or Windows XP

No Events found!