Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 12th, 2011 00:00

Optiplex 790 - AHCI driver not installing when installing Win XP SP3 Sysprep image

We have a preexisting Windows XP SP3 sysprep image we use for client installations. Whenever a new series of Dell client systems are released I always update the driver directory of my premade .wim file (mount by using ximage):  sysprep.inf and the registry (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\DevicePath) with the necessary driver paths and information.

This has worked without any major issues for several years but I find now with the latest Optiplex 790 and AHCI drivers that I cannot get them to install when the user first installs the OS from our boot image. The OS will install in ATA mode but when I try to use the AHCI BIOS setting the OS install fails. I know it can see the drivers at the specified path during the setup process but for some reason they do not install and the install will BSOD.

I recall reading this past week that it is not possible to get XP to see the AHCI drivers when trying to install a sypreped image and that they must be installed (slipstreamed even) and put into the original install image. Does anyone have any positive expierence in this area? Appreciate any advice. Thanks.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

October 12th, 2011 05:00

The Stop 0x7B  Inaccessible Boot Device means the driver is not loaded and it cannot find the drive.

You may need to be more specific with the driver.

This is a microsoft support issue not a Dell hardware issue.

Add SATA/RAID drivers by editing only one file - TXTSETUP.SIF - which is placed in the I386 folder (C:\i386\TXTSETUP.SIF).

Intel® 82801GBM SATA AHCI Controller (Mobile ICH7M)

1. Comment out or remove anything under MassStorageDriver and OEMBootfiles you might have in WINNT.SIF.

2. Download the latest drivers and extract them.

3. Copy only the .SYS file (iastor.sys) to the C:\I386 folder it's important that the files are uncompressed.

4. In the C:\i386 folder you must now open the file TXTSETUP.SIF in your favorite text-editor and do the following:

4.1 Under the section [SourceDisksFiles] add:

iastor.sys   = 1,,,,,,_x,4,1

Remember to change the name of the sys file to the one you use!

4.2 Under the section [HardwareIdsDatabase] add:

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27C5&CC_0106 = "iaStor"

The information for your specific controller in the file TXTSETUP.OEM that you extracted with the driver.

4.3 Under the section [SCSI.Load] add:

iastor = iastor.sys,4

Change the names iastor and iastor.sys to your file's name.

4.4 Under the section [SCSI] add:

iastor  = "Intel(R) 82801GBM SATA AHCI Controller (Mobile ICH7M/DH)"

Change the name iastor to your file's name. I think the name in "" can be whatever you like, but I used the same name used in TXTSETUP.OEM just in case.

5. Save the file and exit.

No Events found!