Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 6th, 2011 05:00

Optiplex 790 Win7 UAC request to install ATI driver

Hi All,

We have an issue with our Optiplex 790 pcs with ATI graphics.

With Driver pack A00 installed normal users get a UAC popup every time they turn the machine on to install an ATI driver. 

With Driver pack A01 installed, this does not happen however Internet Explorer crashes all the time until you turn off hardware rendering in IE.

With the ATI catalyst driver installed directly from ATI's website, we do not get any of the above issues, however we use SCCM and would prefer not to have to load the seperate ATI catalyst driver.

Has anyone else had these problems with Windows 7 64 bit?

Regards

Ian

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

October 6th, 2011 06:00

This is not a dell issue.  

This is not a Hardware Issue.

This is a Microsoft System Center Configuration Manager issue.

6 Posts

October 6th, 2011 06:00

so what you are saying is, dont use the driver packs that Dell supply for SCCM and use the driver from the chip manufacturer..... nice.

3 Posts

October 7th, 2011 08:00

I have been working on this issue with Enstar and can categorically state that the issue is NOT with SCCM.  The issue is with Dell!

If we use the initial A00 driver release, all hardware is successfully detected during the zero-touch OSD build process but when a standard (non-administrative) user logs in for the first time, the computer goes through a "new hardware detected" process which requires administrative rights.  This means that any hardware plugged into the computer (USB mouse for instance) queues behind this hardware install and the computer is unusable by the user until an administrator enters some admin credentials.  We've checked Device Manager both before and after the installation of whatever this device is and are unable to determine any difference!  I can definitely confirm that the PnP ID of this device is an AMD/ATI one related to the video driver (you know, the one Dell supplied!)

Now I don't know whether this is a known issue by Dell, but using the A01 driver pack which was released shortly after A00, this issue does not occur.  Instead, any application which uses the GPU to provide hardware-assisted rendering (IE9, PowerPoint 2010, Flash 10.3, etc.) crash immediately on executing.  Turn off GPU rendering in IE9 (Tools/Internet Options/Advanced - check "Use software rendering instead of GPU rendering") and we can open the applications with no issues.

If we get hold of the latest generic AMD/ATI driver from the AMD web site and install that on top of or instead of the Dell-supplied drivers, we do not get either issue highlighted above.

To me this would suggest that the issue is with the DELL SUPPLIED drivers and NOT with either SCCM, Win7, IE or anything else.

No Events found!