Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 2nd, 2004 11:00

Optiplex GX270, WINXP REINSTALL, Audio drivers cause crash

I have a brand new GX270.  I had to reinstall windows XP SP1a using an ISO image downloaded from microsoft (volume license agreement). 

I loaded all the drivers up and I have found that it is the Audio drivers causing my woes.  The packing list says the machine came with integrated Sound Blaster.  I have installed the ADI Soundmax drivers downloaded from Premier Support Login, which cause the machine to crash upon login, every time.

Any help on this would be appreciated.

Thanks.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

February 2nd, 2004 12:00

You must UNINSTALL the soundmax AC97 wdm drivers that are native to XP Before you install the dell drivers.

The dell drivers and the drivers that XP thinks are "better" interfere with each other.

February 2nd, 2004 12:00

That's just the thing.  Upon first loading up the drivers, XP hadn't automatically installed any drivers for the audio.  So, I installed the ones provided by Dell.  XP wouldn't go behind me and try to install over that would it?

How do I get rid of the drivers for this that are native to XP if they are not installed at the moment?  I looked over the drive.cab file in the driver cache but don't know what to look for.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

February 3rd, 2004 00:00

You have to boot up in safe mode. have the device manager show you any disabled devices and remove those as well.

All of this must be done as the local Administrator.

February 3rd, 2004 10:00

Uh....yeah.  I've been doing that from the start.  No matter how many times I boot in safe mode, remove all drivers for the audio, reboot (in safe mode), and add the dell drivers....the machine still crashes at the next restart that is NOT in safe mode.  On occasion, it has booted and stayed up for a few minutes, but it's almost like XP adds it's native driver after the other in installed, then it crashes. 

Also, I can't install the dell drivers from setup.exe that unzips from the self extracting driver package.  I get errors, errors, and more errors.  For some reason it wants to look for a file in the directory d:\xpsp1\???\???\???...so it is looking for the windows cd rom, which I have the one made from the .iso file from microsoft.  At one point I had to direct it to (i think this is it) kuser32.dll only to have the install go a little further, give more errors, and quit.

No Events found!