Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 22nd, 2008 15:00

Optiplex GX620 now has the infamous blinking amber light

Hello, first time poster. I have some experience with computers, no formal training, just have been messing with them for a while. Anyway, my wife shut down our 2 year old Optiplex GX620 properly last night, I came to power it up this morning and saw the power button steadily blinking a yellow/amber color. Just from researching which computer to purchase when we bought this thing, I remembered seeing something about this possibly being a bad power supply unit. I jumped the green power on pin with a black pin and my fans, dvdrw drive started right up. It seems to me that the psu is still good. Could it still be bad even after it powered everything up? I also checked out all of the USB hubs and they all look perfect. I disconnected the harddrive and still no change. The only other thing I noticed was the constant amber light on the motherboard being lit up. Could this be a problem with the motherboard? If I knew for a fact that it was the motherboard, I would purchase a new one, but I don't want to buy it and it not be the problem. Is there any way to check the motherboard for serviceablility? This machine really hasn't had much use. I was in Iraq for 15 months and my wife used it maybe once a week during that span. I've used it since I've been back every day for about a month. There are no upgrades to the system, it's just a stock system. It's plugged into an expensive surge protector as well. I just cannot imagine how we already be having defective parts already. Any advice? Thank you for your help. 

14.4K Posts

November 22nd, 2008 16:00

Blinking power light

If the power light is blinking amber— A device might be malfunctioning or might be incorrectly installed.

• Remove and then reinstall the memory modules (see "Memory" <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell> for module installation procedures).
  • Remove and then reinstall any cards (for installation procedures, see "Adding and Removing Parts" for your computer type).
  • Remove and then reinstall the video card, if applicable (for installation procedures, see "Adding and Removing Parts" for your computer type).
  • If the problem persists, contact Dell.

Also look on the back of the computer at the 4 diagnostic lights. you can find the codes HERE <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

What I would suggest is after you check your lights, Start pulling components out of your systems. Disconnect all externat devices from the computer. Then start pulling all cards out of the system, Pull all your ram and disconnect the power going to the drives.

After you do all this see if you get any different indications.

If after you do all this and the light still flashes, listen for any beeps, check the status of the fans.If the fans spin and you hear no beeps then the chance of the motherboard being bad are pretty good.

Anyways report back with the results and we will see if we can pin this down better.

1 Message

May 5th, 2009 07:00

Just had a GX620 with the blinking amber power light. It wound up being a user had jammed something into the top front USB port, hosed the connector which was grounding out against frame... Once I realigned the wires the system boots normally now.

December 30th, 2009 09:00

You've probably cured this by now.. But I had the same thing recently, it turnout to be the front USB panel Changed problem cured.

Might help someone looking for a solution to this problem.

1 Message

February 7th, 2010 22:00

Hi Chris,

I have the exact same problem I think. My Optiplex GX 620 is having the blinking amber light in the power switch. Looks like my kid pulled the audio cord from the front and tried inserting into the front USB port.

Right now the cord is out and the USB ports look clear but something might have been fried inside. I removed the side panel and I do not know how to re-align the USB related wires. I think I may beed to remove many parts for that.

As you have offered help in your post, I thought of contacting you in the email option but I always get a blank java script dialog when I try to send you an email And hence this reply in this forum post seeking your help. And it could help others as well if the steps are here.

Thanks in advance.

-Sathish

1 Message

September 10th, 2010 16:00

Cris;

Sorry, I ave a Dell sk-8135 keyboard wit one key txat won't work.  Guess wxicx one.

I volunteer at an inner city scxool and just got 25 of txese GX620s from anotxer scxool.  In txe process of rebuilding I xad txe same blinking amber ligxt and found someone slid txe power switcx to 230v.  Flip back and everytxing works .... except txis keybaord 

Cxeck txe red power supply voltage select switcx on back.

Txis keyboard's going in txe garbage now.

Bob

1 Message

November 19th, 2010 05:00

MSBENSEN:

You are a genius!  You wouldn't believe how mangled and broken the USB port was on my GX620.  I had to use a screw driver to straighten the pins enough so the machine could post.  Then I put a piece of tape over the bad USB port so someone doesn't try to use it.  I tried to disconnect the ribbon cable from the motherboard but unfortunately that cable does lots of other things - like the power button, mic jack and headphone jack.  Anyway, this seems like it would be a most arbitrary scenario as I have deployed literally hundreds of these machines and never came across this problem before.  Anyway, this was most helpful and I wanted to say thanks.

Andy

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

November 19th, 2010 06:00

MSBENSEN:

You are a genius!  You wouldn't believe how mangled and broken the USB port was on my GX620.  I had to use a screw driver to straighten the pins enough so the machine could post.  Then I put a piece of tape over the bad USB port so someone doesn't try to use it.  I tried to disconnect the ribbon cable from the motherboard but unfortunately that cable does lots of other things - like the power button, mic jack and headphone jack.  Anyway, this seems like it would be a most arbitrary scenario as I have deployed literally hundreds of these machines and never came across this problem before.  Anyway, this was most helpful and I wanted to say thanks.

Andy

Filling in the Broken port with RTV Silicon is probably a good permanent fix.

Permatex 80050 Clear RTV Silicone- 3-Ounce

September 30th, 2012 20:00

I was about to write a mean nasty-gram to someone until i read your post on the usb problem it seems to be quite prevalent after doing a web search , now if you could answer one other problem i'm having ___ How do i replace all the hair i pulled out over the past few days working this issue. One Happy Camper in the High Desert.... Mark :)

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

October 3rd, 2012 10:00

Hair Club for men has a program that addresses this.  They Glue a wig to your head.

Hair Club® For Men1 (877) 605 0104

http://www.hairclub.com/Men

3 Posts

December 11th, 2012 21:00

I have a Dell Optiplex gx620. Had the blinking amber light. removed the front i/o panel and noticed it had the bent pins in the usb port. Straightened the pins, replaced the panel and now there are no lights and the machine won't power up.

I had the psu checked by Geek Squad and they say it's fine. I also have a solid light on the motherboard. 

Any ideas?

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

December 11th, 2012 23:00

You may have damaged the motherboard; shorting out a USB pin can cause physical damage, including an IC physically glowing orange and emitting smoke.

3 Posts

December 12th, 2012 10:00

Nothing is glowing orange or emitting smoke. Nothing appears to be damaged. Capacitors look fine. but other than one LED on the motherboard lighting up there is no indication that anything is actually working. The USB with the bent pins was on the front i/o panel, not the motherboard itself.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

December 12th, 2012 10:00

Once the short is eliminated, the IC will stop glowing (if that's what happened). Whether or not that would ruin the whole motherboard is an open question; when I experienced it, it was just the USB IC that was affected and the rest of the board's functionality seemed unimpeded.

At this stage, I'd try swapping in a new motherboard, assuming that Geek Squad is correct in their analysis of the power supply.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

December 12th, 2012 11:00

Did the cable between the front panel and motherboard get dislodged from its connectors at either end during all your poking and prodding?

Also, power off and unplug then press/hold power button for ~15 sec. Leave it like that for a while and then reconnect and try booting again.

3 Posts

January 22nd, 2013 22:00

Replaced the front I/O panel. Replaced the motherboard. Checked all the cables. Still no light on the front panel. Beginning to think Geek Squad misdiagnosed the power supply.

No Events found!