Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 5th, 2010 12:00

Optiplex gx260 Ethernet controller driver (win-xp-pro)

My Daughter has a Dell optiplex gx 260 that she uses for all school projects, unfortunally we had to upgrade it and format and reload the HD with the winxp-pro cd do to a series of errors,slow downs and freez. everything worked just find but a number of drivers are now missing, most important the ethernet controller driver. I have try and done all the steps through Dell drivers and downloads and eventhough there is like 20 updates under network for that specific model none have work. I need to downloaded to a flash drive and then installed on her pc. is there away to get that specific driver downloaded  and installed ? I know that if i just get conected I could log into Dell and update the rest. Please any help or way to get the ethernet controller driver?

thanks, Ivan.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

August 5th, 2010 12:00

RivanF

Assuming that you are using the integrated Network Adaptor.

Before installing the Network Driver, the Chipset Driver must be installed first.

Try the Intel Gigabit LOM driver first, It should be compatible, but  If the Intel Gigabit driver doesn't work then try the 3Com 3C905C-TXM Ethernet Adaptor.

The drivers can be downloaded from HERE

Download the drivers to a folder, you need to create on the PC you are using, name the folder ' GX 260 Downloads'.

After all the drivers are downloaded, connect the thumb drive to a USB port and transfer the folder to the drive, using the 'Sent To' Menu.

Note. Don't use Dell's download Manager, choose 'Download Using My Browser' when selecting the file to download.

Bev.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

August 5th, 2010 14:00

RivanF

You are welcome.

Bev.

4 Posts

August 5th, 2010 14:00

Wow.............Thank you  so much, it works perfect. at the risk of everyone laughthing at me I want you to know that I have been at this for 2 days.

Iam very Gratefull, thank you- Ivan. 

March 5th, 2011 17:00

Bev. Thank you SOO much. I have been messing around on here with all of these different drivers, trying to get this computer up and running, the chipset driver helped and now I can go ON with my life. I just created an ID here JUST so I can say thank you. So THANK YOU!

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

March 5th, 2011 19:00

deigratia86

Happy to have helped.

Bev.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

April 15th, 2011 18:00

Dane775

:emotion-21:

Bev.

1 Message

April 15th, 2011 18:00

What deigratia86 said......I created this account just to thank you.

Had a computer my next door neighbor's daughter couldn't get working due to the NIC drivers not being loaded. They don't have a lot of money and couldn't afford to have it repaired.

................................Bev to the rescue!!!   *big smile*

Thanks tons...Dane

2 Posts

May 31st, 2011 23:00

Meant to say I didn't write down the last few steps, those went too fast for me.

2 Posts

May 31st, 2011 23:00

It's working now!

Hello, This is my problem too. I downloaded the chipset, but I still can't get the NIC driver to load. I still have a yellow ? and ! next to Ethernet connection in device manager. When I go th the resources CD there is a Network driver (NIC) for Intel 8255x 10/100/1000 integrated NIC rev. A00. I extract the file to: F:\dell\Drivers\R42108   (my hard drive is F:) then all files are unzipped. Then the instructions say:

To reinstall the NIC driver for Windows XP, perform the following steps:

1. Click Start, Right-click the My Computer icon, click Properties.

2. Click the Hardware tab, click the Device Manager button.

3. Click the + next to Network Adapters. Right click on the appropriate network adapter, click Properties.

4. Click on the Driver tab, click the Update Driver button.

5. Select Install from a list of specified location (Advanced), click Next.

6. Click Don’t Search, I will choose the driver to install, click Next

7. Click the Have Disk button.

8. Verify that A: is entered in the Copy manufacturer’s files from box or use the Browse button to point to the directory the driver was extracted to. (i.e. c:\dell\drivers\….)

9. Click OK to install the driver.

10. Verify that Intel® PRO/1000 MT Network Connection is highlighted.

11. Click Next, click Finish.

When I get to step 3, I don't have Network Adapters as a choice but Other Devices then Ethernet Controller. So, I right click on Ethernet Controller, Properties, Driver, Update driver,  specified location (Advanced), next, Don't search, next, Then a Hardware Update Wizard opens and I'm not sure what to do. I clicked on Show all devices and found an Intel PRO/1000 GigabitServer Adapter then I chose Have Disk, and then went to F:\dell\Drivers\R42108, then I had to chose the winXP and then it WORKED! I hope it works, the ethernet connection disappeared and an NIC showed up in Device Manager. I may be leaving a step or two out at the end as I was trying each step as I'm writing this and I did write down the last few steps. Then I did the correct things and I think it is working. I will try my Internet now.

Internet is working now!   Thank you.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

June 1st, 2011 08:00

MD808

Sounds like you have resolved the internet issue. :emotion-21:

Bev.

1 Message

November 15th, 2011 06:00

Please help me install ethernet controller, muiltmedia controller drivers for my optiplex gx260. I am still using XP sp2

May 14th, 2012 18:00

I can't find anything that says chipset

No Events found!