Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 2nd, 2015 23:00

Partitions and Red Bar Y: PBR Image

Hi,

I have many questions, a couple of issues and a 1 year old, Inspiron2350, OEM Win 8.1, 64bit.

I tried to create a System Image with Windows 8.1 and it failed: Error message (0x80780119) said There is not enough disk space to create the volume shadow copy etc. etc. Not sure what's that's referring. Partitions perhaps?

What can I do about these partitions? How can I fix the volume so I can create the system image? See screen shot of what it looks like now.

In addition, I now see a Y: drive with a red bar that says PBR Image. Is this normal? In all the time I've had this computer, I've never seen another drive shows up except for the C and E.See below. Is my computer in trouble?

One other question. I noticed on the Dell download site that there are updates for my computer including a Bios update A09. My computer's Bios version right now is Bios version A05. Is it worthwhile updating it or anything else or just leave things as they are?

Can I add a second internal hard drive to this computer? I don't want a second hard drive; I would just like to know.

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

October 3rd, 2015 11:00

Upgrade to A09 especially if you plan to upgrade to Windows 10.

16 Posts

October 3rd, 2015 17:00

Will upgrading fix the System Image failed, the red bar and the weird looking partitions problems?

1 Message

October 4th, 2015 02:00

It looks like de drive list does not match the Devices picture.

In Computer management you can right-click your Y: drive and remove the drive letter, that hides the drive.

Second hd-drive.

I don't know your model computer but adding a hard drive is usually possible on a desktop. You may also use a USB-disk drive to add capacity (for back-up).

Your C:-drive occupies all the free space on your physical HD. Right-click on it and try to reduce space, say to 500 GB. Then you have space to create a new drive. Try to back-up to that new drive (format it with NTFS).

Good luck.

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

October 4th, 2015 05:00

Okay your disk management looks a bit funny. If its the OEM factory install it should have another partition and the PBR image should not have a drive letter in Windows explorer.

To test install Dell Backup and Recovery 1.90.22 or 1.8.7.2:

http://www.dellbackupandrecovery.com/Windows10Installer/Dell_Backup_and_Recovery_1.9.0.22.exe

http://downloads.dell.com/FOLDER02909509M/1/Backup-and-Recovery_Application_64M9D_WN32_1.8.1.71_A00.EXE

These newer versions of Dell Backup and Recovery may be able to fix the issues. If they flag up Factory Error 5 then we will know for sure your recovery partition is corrupt.

The Service Manual is here:

http://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_inspiron_desktop/inspiron-2350-aio_service%20manual_en-us.pdf

There is only one 2.5" HDD however there is also a mSATA SSD. Run the Crucial system scanner just to make sure:

http://uk.crucial.com/gbr/en/compatible-upgrade-for/Dell/inspiron-23-all-in-one

However you can likely install a mSATA 250-500 GB drive to use as a boot drive which will significantly speed up your system.

16 Posts

October 4th, 2015 14:00

Thanks for responding.

Funny thing is, when I received the computer, the only drive i could see was the C drive with all that space. Since Inspiron2350 does not have a built in optical drive, Dell sent me an external one that I have connected at all times which is drive E.

Drive Y: only appeared after I use the Dell Back up and recovery. I also used Macrium to create a system image since Windows system image wouldn't do the job.

It was after those things I saw a folder in My Documents named with my service tag number, underscore and my computer name. In that folder is another folder named Profile 1 with a bunch of Profile FFB .inp files. No idea what to make of those so I just leave them be.

I noticed that Backup and Recovery 1.9.0.22 says Windows10Installer and the other says WN32

Does it matter which I try? I have Win 8.1 64bit; I have not decided if I am going to upgrade to Win 10.

Would reinstalling 8.1 be simpler than trying to fix all these things?

16 Posts

October 4th, 2015 15:00

You are right Fysio, nothing is right with this computer at the moment. It seems to work fine but I fear at some point something is going to just 'give up.'

Thanks for the suggestions.

No Events found!