RoHe
Diamond

Re: Please, Dell, Provide XP Drivers For Zino

Did you disconnect all peripherals (ncluding network/modem cable), except mouse, monitor and keyboard before starting the install?

viafir2k.inf appears to be some kind of infrared device driver from Via Technologies. So do you have a remote control device associated with this system? I found it on my Dell desktop with XPpro SP3, but I don't have any IR devices, so it appears to be installed during a standard Windows installation.

Did you by chance buy an OEM version of XP which may only allow it to be installed on systems made by a particular manufacturer? Dell's OEM XP can only be installed on a Dell PC...

Ron

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos
carabus
Copper

OK, I'm not exactly sure what the fix was, but after disconnecting the ethernet cable per your suggestion (the only extraneous cable I had connected),

I still got the missing file error, but for a different file. For the heck of it, I shut down and restarted the installation. It then progressed through normally to the activation key screen

where I then found that the key given me at the time of the eBay purchase is not valid, but that's another issue....

Once I've resolved this and XP is installed, I'll reset the BIOS SATA setting to AHCI, as you suggest.

BTW, this was a standard (non-OEM) install disk.

Thanks VERY much for all the help! I definitely couldn't have gotten this far without it. 

Brian

0 Kudos
RoHe
Diamond

Glad you got this far, but you're NOT done yet!

If the installation CD wasn't XP SP3, you still have to install the service pack (free download from Microsoft) plus all the other Microsoft updates that came out after SP3.

And if it were me, I'd run a system file check on the current installation (affer you get a valid key) before updating to SP3 etc. Sfc will check the installation for any missing or corrupted Windows files. You may want to do that, especially given the way you got XP to install. After you update the hard drive with the XP Service Pack, you won't be able to run sfc using this installation CD ever again.

To run sfc,

Click: start>run

Type in: sfc /scannow   

Click ok

Insert XP CD if requested and reboot when it's done.

And remember, you have to install the Intel Matrix Storage Manager before you change BIOS to AHCI again. I'd run sfc first, and then manually set a System Restore point before installing IMSM, just to be safe.

Having fun?

Ron

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos
carabus
Copper

Ron & Scott --

Thanks for all the information. I'll have to digest it this weekend. And in answer to Ron's question -- No, not much fun! :-(

Thanks again. I'm sure I'll have some questions soon.

Brian

0 Kudos
Highlighted
S_Booth
Bronze

I would not suggest turning the AHCI back on for any OS prior to Vista/Win7. It will be just as snappy and probably more reliable in Win XP keeping it set to standard ATA. At least that is what I have found. To clarify, the Inspiron 400 (Zino HD) uses the ATI chipset. The Inspiron 300 uses the Intel chipset. In the end, you will be having fun and will have gained some valuable knowledge too for the future!

Scott-

0 Kudos
doughonea
Copper

6. Now, it is time to install the elusive secondary audio device, which is the actually ATI HDMI audio that many confuse to be an additional part of the Conexant device, which it is not. You can get the HDMI audio installer utility here:

http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_catalyst.aspx?p=xp/hdmiaudio-xp

Again, manually point to and install the driver if the automatic utility doesn’t do its job.

Having a hard time with this driver.  The properties for the device are HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_14F1&DEV_5051&SUBSYS_1028040F&REV_1000\4&1201A57D&0&0301

When I try to update the driver by pointing to ...\drivers\wdm\hdmi\xp, windows reports that the folder doesn't contain the proper software.  I ran the Catalyst setup and it reports that everything installed, but apparently something is amiss.  Would appreciate any assistance you can offer.

0 Kudos
S_Booth
Bronze

0 Kudos
doughonea
Copper

I did, but it doesn't work either.  I think the problem is that the hardware descriptor doesn't match anything in the .inf file. 

The hardware descriptor is
HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_14F1&DEV_5051&SUBSYS_1028040F&REV_1000

The .inf file only has these entries:
HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_1002&DEV_793C&SUBSYS_00793C00&REV_1000
HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_1002&DEV_791A&SUBSYS_00791A00&REV_1000
HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_1002&DEV_AA01&SUBSYS_00AA0100&REV_1000
HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_1002&DEV_AA01&SUBSYS_00AA0100&REV_1001
HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_1002&DEV_AA01&SUBSYS_00AA0100&REV_1002
HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_1002&DEV_AA11
HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_1002&DEV_AA09
HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_1002&DEV_AA19

If I knew which subsection applied, I could mod the .inf file, but I am clueless.  FWIW, I tried modding the first entry.  That installed and caused a BSOD! 

Again, appreciate any assistance available.

0 Kudos
doughonea
Copper

SUCCESS!

I downloaded the ConexantHDAudio 221_XP driver, then modded the .inf file (changed SUBSYS to match the hardware ID).  It loaded and no BSOD.

0 Kudos
S_Booth
Bronze

Excellent.

Yes, modifying the .ini seems to be the case in a few areas. It is good you got it all running. If you want me to add your updated file to the downloads I am hosting for Dell users, just let me know.

Scott-

0 Kudos