Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 23rd, 2017 15:00

Popup for Dell Inspiron 2350 System Bios Update

Quite suddenly I'm getting a frequent popup in a small window that says "Dell Update, 1 update is ready to install. Dell Inspiron 2350 System BIOS" The options are "Install now" and "Remind me later". Does this look legitimate? If so, is it something I want to do? My computer is almost 4 years old and it's running fine. I hate to risk breaking something. I'm running the latest Windows 10 Creators Update.

4 Operator

• 

3.4K Posts

June 23rd, 2017 17:00

Thank you for your message.

We see that the last Bios update for this model was released in July 2015 & the version is A09.

Restart the computer & tap F2 to get into Bios & check the version installed. If you have A09 you have the latest version.

Considering the system age & the system model, we do not recommend a Bios update if everything is working fine. Installing a wrong Bios update or incorrect install may brick the motherboard.

16 Posts

June 24th, 2017 11:00

Thank you for your informative reply, Dell-Sreejith R. Based on your advice, I will not attempt to update the BIOS on my computer. Is there a way to stop the frequent reminders to update, or do I just need to remember to click "Remind me later" as long as they keep appearing?

4 Operator

• 

3.4K Posts

June 24th, 2017 14:00

We understand how annoying the pop-up message could be. Could you share an image of the pop up along with the service tag, OS installed, bios version installed, on a private message?

Please click on my Dell username & then private message the details.

Do you get this pop-up message through any Dell installed application like Dell support assist?  

16 Posts

June 24th, 2017 15:00

PM with requested info sent.

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

June 25th, 2017 14:00

Uninstall the Dell Update program you have to stop the messages. It could be any one of the programs Dell offers for automatically notifying you about available updates or status of the computer. Go to Add Remove Programs to see what is listed under Dell. Check it out before uninstalling but almost any added notification utility is not needed. Any of those can be uninstalled and reinstalled. I think yours is left over from Windows 8 and is no longer needed on windows 10.

16 Posts

June 25th, 2017 16:00

Thanks for the suggestion, Mary G. I looked at the Dell programs I have installed and was quite surprised to see how many there are (list below). I'm a little hesitant to just start uninstalling them without knowing the consequences. Obviously the first one can go, but what about the others?

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

June 26th, 2017 12:00

You can always disable those nagging alerts:

1. Click "Start | All Programs | Dell Support Center | Dell Support Center Alerts." The Dell Support Center program window opens.

2. Select "User Settings" and select the "Alerts" tab.

3. Select "Disable" beneath Notification in the Notification Settings section. Dell Support Alerts are automatically disabled.

16 Posts

June 26th, 2017 14:00

Ron, thanks for the suggestion. I'd rather not disable all notifications from Dell, however. I may have found a solution. In looking at SupportAssist settings, I saw the choices below. I have unchecked the box for BIOS and will wait to see what happens (or doesn't happen). So far today the annoying reminder to update the BIOS has popped up three times. A related question: How do Dell Support Center and SupportAssist differ? Do I need to use both?

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

June 26th, 2017 16:00

Don't see Dell Support Center on your list of installed Dell apps.

"SupportAssist proactively checks the health of your system’s hardware and software. When an issue is detected, the necessary system state information is sent to Dell for troubleshooting to begin. Dell will contact you to start the resolution conversation, preventing issues from becoming costly problems."

"Dell Support Center is software that will help keep your Dell PC up to date & running efficiently. It scans your Windows system and checks if any updates are available for drivers and software."

Sound similar, but not identical...

16 Posts

June 26th, 2017 20:00

It appears that Dell Support Center no longer exists and has been replaced by Dell SupportAssist. The following paragraph is taken directly from a Knowledge Base page on the Dell website:

SupportAssist/My Dell (formerly Dell Support Center) is a control panel for system tools and diagnostics. It contains extensive help sections for online tools, warranty information, Dell technical support links and Dell customer support channels. Access all system controls like Device Manager, Network Connections, etc. from a single location.

16 Posts

June 27th, 2017 11:00

Back to the drawing board. In my previous post I described how I unchecked the BIOS box for notifications from SupportAssist. This morning I got another notification. Either SupportAssist ignored my directions or the notification isn't coming from SupportAssist.

No Events found!