Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 12th, 2013 02:00

PowerDVD won't play Blu-ray

Dell Studio XPS 8100. Blu-ray reader/writer. PowerDVD came with the system.

Well, I just bought my first Blu-ray disc. Lo and behold, it won't play. PowerDVD tells me to update the software. So I do. I start the software again. PowerDVD again tells me to update the software. So I do. I start the software again. PowerDVD again tells me to update the software. And once again, I do.

And then PowerDVD won't even run at all. It crashes. I can't get anything.

No problem, I figure. I'll just contact customer support.

Ha. Out of luck -- unless I want to pay.

Wait a minute. I paid for the software when I bought the system. I expect the software to work.

I have upgraded the firmware for the drive and for my graphics adapter. I have jumped through all of the hoops. And still, PowerDVD crashes before I can do anything with it.

So what am I supposed to do? Why won't PowerDVD work?

I see that this is not an unusual problem with the software. However, I have yet to find a resolution. Can someone help me?

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

February 13th, 2013 12:00

The likely major reason Apple does not officially support Blu-ray playback on its machines

is that there's no way for Blu-ray playback software to be installed and "just work.

(Well since All Macs since 2006 support boot Camp and XP/VISTA/WIN7 thats not exactly correct.  If you install windows it works.)

There is also Non Apple Blue ray Software but it needs an active connection to the internet to play the media.

A third party has now made a Mac OS X compatible Blu-ray Player, called Macgo.

Options for authoring Blu-ray have come from Apple in the form of Compressor in Final Cut Studio, and the third party Roxio Toast Titanium.

Blu-ray burners that work with them include ones sold by OtherWorld Computing and MCETechnologies and both can replace the built-in DVD burner of

most Macs. AirX makes Blu-ray playable on iPhone/iPad/iPod touch

5 Posts

February 12th, 2013 03:00

The link sends me to Version 8.3, dated 09/25/2009. After the updates, it's 8.3.1.7501. But when I put the Blu-ray disc in, the Windows 7 color scheme goes to basic and a dialog box pops up:

"CyberLink PowerDVD DX has stopped working

"A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available."

1.5K Posts

Hi ryanrr7,

Welcome to the community.

You can download and install the latest Powerdvd software for your system from the below link:

http://bit.ly/9sK3DH

You would need to register the system once and then you can access to all the softwares installed on the system.

Thanks and Regards
Sandeep P
#iworkfordell

1.5K Posts

Hi ryanrr7,

Thanks for providing us this information. Please let me know the version of software gets installed from the my dell downloads website.

And after update what is the version of the software that you have installed on the system.

Also, please let us know if we get any error message while the software crashes.

Thanks and Regards
Sandeep P
#iworkfordell

5 Posts

That link only sends me back to the first version of the software I had. And when I run that, it keeps telling me to update, which I do, only to have the software crash altogether. That's where I'm at -- I have updated the software to the point it no longer runs at all.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

February 12th, 2013 06:00

You did not say what OS or Graphics card driver or Drive etc.  

Cyberlink does not continue to support older versions of PowerDVD and there are updates but after a time they are not free.

Do you have a disc to re-install PowerDVD 8.3 software? If yes, please follow the below given steps:

1. Uninstall Cyberlink PowerDVD from Programs and Features and restart the system.

2. Install it again using the disc and restart the system.

3. Do not insert any blu-ray disc, but open Cyberlink PowerDVD software.

4. Click Online update. It will be connect to the Cyberlink website and install a patch file.

5. Restart the system again and check if PowerDVD can play blu-ray discs.

If the system was not shipped with the PowerDVD 8.3 software, it can be downloaded from the My Dell Downloads application.

To install My Dell Downloads please use this link:

smartsource.dell.com/.../Welcome.aspx

http://www.cyberlink.com/prog/support/cs/faq-content.do?id=6286

Download the CyberLink BD & 3D Advisor to test that your PC is ready to play Blu-ray Disc.

You can also try Cyberlink 12 Trial.

http://www.cyberlink.com/downloads/trials/index_en_US.html

5 Posts

February 12th, 2013 10:00

Dell Studio XPS 8100. Windows 7 Home Premium, fully updated. ATI Radeon 5450 video. All drivers updated. All firmware updated.

I installed each patch separately and rebooted between patches. PowerDVD still refuses to play the Blu-ray. The Advisor program says my system passed all tests for playing Bu-ray. I followed the above instructions exactly.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

February 12th, 2013 10:00

I think your version of PowerDVD is hopelessly obsolete. Due to the ever-changing nature of Blu-ray copy protection, PC Blu-ray playback is a challenge. PowerDVD 8 is at least four versions back and the vendor, Cyberlink, isn't investing in updates.

If a circa-2008 Blu-ray disc plays, this issue may be due to buggy DRM or buggy BD-J (Blu-ray's Java-based menu technology). It is likely that the latest version of PowerDVD or Arcsoft TotalMedia Theater will fix it; both have trials that are free to download. They can be uninstalled; if you do try one or the other and your problem is corrected, then you know that your problem is with PowerDVD 8, not Blu-ray in general.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

February 13th, 2013 09:00

EOL (END OF LIFE) announcement PowerDVD 7/8/9 Retail - CyberLink Community Forum

forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/19324.page

As the development phase of CyberLink PowerDVD 7/8/9 Ultra retail version has now ended, there will be no further Blu-ray Disc compatibility updates for those versions.

To upgrade your version of CyberLink PowerDVD to the latest release, click here.

http://www.cyberlink.com/store/powerdvd/upgrade_en_US.html?&r=1

Source:
http://www.cyberlink.com/downloads/support/powerdvd/patches_en_US.html

Last update was at 13/10/2011 08:18:49

The Blu-ray Disc format employs several layers of digital rights management (DRM) which restrict the usage of the disks. These encryption methods include both FIRMWARE and Software changes that Prevent playing.  If your drive is "too Old" aka 3 to 5 years it may REQUIRE a firmware update in addition to the Software before it will play a disc. Since the appearance of the format on devices in 2006, several successful attacks have been made on it. The first known attack relied on the trusted client problem. In addition, decryption keys have been extracted from a weakly protected player (WinDVD). Since keys can be revoked in newer releases,this is only a temporary attack, and new keys must continually be discovered in order to decrypt the latest discs. This cat-and-mouse game has gone through several cycles and is why It worked and now doesn't work and why Firmware and software must be updated.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

I disagree that you followed all of the instructions.  You may find that the PowerDVD 12 Trial works fine.

Cyberlink has Discontinued Support for Power DVD 1.X thru 9.X as far as Blue Ray Copy protection.  I am personally using version 10 on my dell and it works fine but I purchased a Toshiba Samsung LG USB DVD player that came with OEM Power DVD.  I then upgraded using the free patch from Cyberlink and it plays DVD's and Blueray Just fine.  I end up buying the OEM Drive due to it coming with newer firmware and support for the player.  Buying the Software Alone is $99 so the cost of a Drive that includes this is sometimes the same price.  I then end up getting a BlueRay Burner and Cyberlink and software updates for the same price as buying the software alone.

LG Portable Blu-ray Disc Re-writer

I did have to update the cyberlink software that came with this drive BEFORE it would play blue ray discs.

5 Posts

Disagree all you want, I followed the instructions precisely as given. Could someone enlighten me as to how a software player could become obsolete on a PC while a Blu-ray player hooked up to a television does not become obsolete?

84 Posts

February 13th, 2013 10:00

"Could someone enlighten me as to how a software player could become obsolete on a PC while a Blu-ray player hooked up to a television does not become obsolete?"

It's a real scandal that software blu-ray players go out of date so quickly.

Basically playing blu-rays through a PC is a huge rip-off. Invest in a cheap standalone blu ray player instead (make sure it's one that's updated frequently though, and for which you can receive updates, or you will run into the same problems. I recommend just getting a PS3 to my friends as Sony updates the software constantly)

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

Disagree all you want, I followed the instructions precisely as given. Could someone enlighten me as to how a software player could become obsolete on a PC while a Blu-ray player hooked up to a television does not become obsolete?

The set-top player requires firmware updates to play the latest discs. As long as the player remains in production or its architecture is similar to that of newer players, such updates will be made available.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

Basically playing blu-rays through a PC is a huge rip-off. Invest in a cheap standalone blu ray player instead (make sure it's one that's updated frequently though, and for which you can receive updates, or you will run into the same problems. I recommend just getting a PS3 to my friends as Sony updates the software constantly)

Apparently, Hollywood was reluctant to allow Blu-ray playback on PCs at all. It was only at Microsoft's insistence that they relented. The price was that software players would be rendered obsolete periodically ... unless an expensive software package that I'm not allowed to mention here is installed.

The likely major reason Apple does not officially support Blu-ray playback on its machines is that there's no way for Blu-ray playback software to be installed and "just work." Blu-ray copy protection is constantly evolving and thus so must the software, and that's at odds with Apples ease of use philosophy. Dell and other PC OEMs offer PowerDVD, but with the caveat of "you're on your own."

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

[quote user="ryanrr7"]

The set-top player requires firmware updates to play the latest discs. As long as the player remains in production or its architecture is similar to that of newer players, such updates will be made available.

[/quote]

The firmware updates need to be done via USB flash drive or direct connection to the internet. Sony in particular will phone home and rat you out if you are playing a pirated disc in your player attached to the internet so that your ISP will identify you and sell you out to the RIAA DMCA Mafia.

No Events found!