Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 28th, 2016 16:00

Precision 7910, No sound from front/rear jacks

I bought a refurbished 7910 and could not get any sound from the front/rear jacks or the USB ports.

Ran all the extended bios tests, and when I ran sound, got no error, but no sound.  When I chose the input and output in windows, the vue meter would show differing sound levels for input and output, but nothing out the jacks or USB.

I went into device manager, and all software devices were ok, but I did not see any chip device (I believe I saw one in my old 7400). 

Since the USB does not work, I do not think it is a jack issue.

I installed a sound blaster card and that works very well.

Any thoughts?

331 Posts

May 29th, 2016 15:00

Hi JoeJoe88,

Thank you for writing to the Dell Community Forum.

Please update the latest BIOS install the chipset driver Intel Management Engine Components Installer Driver and Realtek HD Audio Driver http://dell.to/1TPmL5n. Check if the speakers / headphone work on other device.

Kindly get back if there are any further queries.

5 Posts

May 31st, 2016 21:00

Thanks for helping DI.

Yes the speakers work on other devices.  I have it on a SB card in this machine now and they work off that..  They would not work on the front or rear jacks.  My webcam microphone is recognized via the rear USB and work fine.

I downloaded and installed all the updates, (only the Intel were needed via detect but reinstalled anyway).

Activated Realtek devices and tried to configure, no luck.  This machine shipped to original owner with an SB card.  Could builders have disabled jacks before shipping?  No internal speaker.

Device manager shows all sound devices working fine, but does not show the chip as I think it did on the 7400 (rip).

Thanks for any help, much appreciated.

Other than the sound, absolutely love the machine.

Joe

331 Posts

June 1st, 2016 15:00

Hi Joe,

Please go to the BIOS> System configuration> Audio and ensure the integrated audio controller is enabled. If it is enabled already, you could try reinstalling the operating system.

Note: Do a backup of all important data, before reinstalling the operating system and the programs needs to be reinstalled.

5 Posts

June 1st, 2016 17:00

Hi Di,

Ran the extended BIOS test,  no errors, but no sound output.  Ran Dell nline diag ad dxdiag, all say Realtek was ok. 

Checked device manager and all appear to be working properly.

With that being the case, how does a reinstall of the OS make any sense?  My discussion with the Dell techline was short as this is a lease return and I cannot transfer ownership, but in their mind it was a jack issue, which is why I asked if it was related to the sound card.

If there is a plausible reason, would a repair install work?

Joe

5 Posts

June 1st, 2016 18:00

PS, first thing I did was check BIOS when I ran extended test

331 Posts

June 2nd, 2016 15:00

Hi Joe,

If the system is still in warranty, we can setup a service call to replace the motherboard. As per the warranty entitlements on the system. I’ve sent you a friend request. Accept the same, then click on my name and you can send a private conversation. Please provide us with the service tag of the system through a private conversation.

Please reply if you have any further questions.

5 Posts

June 3rd, 2016 12:00

Hi Di,

Do not see a friend request.  What app?

Thanks

Joe

331 Posts

June 3rd, 2016 13:00

Hi Joe,

Friend request has been sent already. Please accept and provide us with the service tag of the system.

June 8th, 2016 00:00

tnx. it helped !!!

No Events found!