Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 7th, 2015 10:00

Precision T5810 - MDT

Just wanted to know if anyone else has encountered this issue:

Out of the box, the Precision T5810 I received had bios A05. By default, network card is enabled without PXE option). I enabled network with PXE option to image. Once the wim laid down and the computer rebooted, it was not able to connect to the network. It knew there was a network cable, but kept getting a 169.x.x.x IP address. I tried different ports, confirmed that there were available IP's, reset the TCP/IP stack, all to no avail. I finally rebooted the system, went back into the bios config, switched the nic back to enabled without PXE, and then it was able to continue.

I searched for a new bios update, and found A06. This doesn't mention anything about the behavior I encountered, but I also cannot find A05 on the site. I have applied the A06 bios and am testing again to see if the behavior recurs.

I'd be curious to hear if anyone else has seen this behavior.

Update: after applying the A06 bios, the behavior still occurs (lan w/pxe prevents the nic from connecting to the network during MDT task sequence). I have to change it to lan for the TS to continue).

1 Message

April 20th, 2015 23:00

I am experiencing the same failure point and symptoms. Would really like to know if you found any other solutions, I am looking forward to trying this next setting change as I am serval days past my deadline to get these machines out.  Very frustrating.

10 Posts

April 21st, 2015 08:00

I have not been able to find an alternate solution as of yet. I will post any other solution I find. Right now the only way to get the TS to continue is to change the NIC setting after the WIM lays down.

10 Posts

April 28th, 2015 13:00

DTMonroe,

Have you had a chance to try this yet? If so, is it a viable workaround? I will add that I have also tried using a 64bit OS (and applicable drivers), and the same behavior occurs. I'm going to have my manager get me a contact at Dell in the hope that we can get to the bottom of this.

Paul

10 Posts

April 28th, 2015 14:00

DTMonroe,

Just another piece of info. If found another thread that discussed some issues with the Intel I217 NIC not loading in WinPE. The suggested workaround was to download the I217 driver directly from Intel - https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/18713/Network-Adapter-Driver-for-Windows-7- and load that. I just downloaded the driver and installed it in the 5810 I was using for testing (while it was in the state of not being able to connect due to the pxe option being enabled). After installing the newer driver and disabling/enabling the card, it now works. For the moment, I'm going to add that driver to MDT so it gets installed, but I will be reaching out to Dell about this too!

Hope this helps!

Paul

No Events found!