Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

K

February 17th, 2013 03:00

Re identify cpu on dimension 5150C

Hi I have the much reported issue of jet aircraft noises from my cpu cooling fan. It revs up so much that the noise is deafening. I intend today to remove and clean the cooler and reseat the CPU with new thermal paste. If not successful i would like to replace the cooler and fan with a different type. Preferably very quiet. Not sure what processor mine has exactly, as I need this to determine socket type in my search for a different cooler. Also hear that if a non standard cooler is fitted, not having a dell sensor lead it will report an error on each boot up and require the user to press f1 every time. My service tag is Tag[Admin Note, Service tag removed per TOU] Thanks in advance

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

February 17th, 2013 04:00

Hi Keith,

I checked the original configuration. It says the CPU was upgraded from the standard Intel Pentium D 820, but it doesn't list your current processor.

My suggestion would be to take it one step at a time and not go crazy with re-seating the CPU. But you need to determine where the noise is coming from. I believe this model has both a case fan and a CPU heat sink fan. It's easy enough to disconnect the case fan to determine which one is causing the problem. Then just go on Ebay or search around to find a replacement.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

Take the side cover off. Then turn the computer on and listen. If you're still not sure, shut it down, unplug the case fan connector from the motherboard. Then you'll know for sure which one is making the noise.

Isolate, isolate, isolate. The three most important aspects of troubleshooting. :emotion-2:

17 Posts

Hi

Thanks for the quick  response.  I will try sic oft sandra to see what my cpu is.....I didn't realise there was a case fan as well.....is this the large chunky item that exhausts to the front panel through the aperture...???

If so I think this might be it.  But the noise varies enormously with useage.  If I am copying files or downloading / installing the noise increases dramatically, this is why I assumed it was the CPU fan.

What's the best way to  determine where the noise is coming from ?

Also if I put my hand to the front casing at the bottom, where the air exhausts there is a strange intermittent clicking sound......possibly from the fan.......

February 17th, 2013 16:00

On my Precision 380 desktop, I've upgraded my processor from the standard HT P4 3.6Ghz to a 3Ghz dual core Pentium D. Initially, I had the issue of having the CPU cooler fan turn into a jet turbine the second I did so much as open the start bar, let alone when doing a performance test!

How I've resolved this issue is by reseating the heat sink with fresh thermal paste, then added a second fan on the back of the heat sink, plus a fan cooled heat sink to the south bridge, along with a rear exhaust fan, just to try and cool it down a little bit.

Obviously, there is a little bit more noise than it originally had when running, due to the extra fans internally, but even playing high end, graphically intense games, the CPU fan hardly speeds up at all.

No Events found!