Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 18th, 2009 05:00

Reformat Hard disk

I have a Dell Demension 4600 and I was interested in knowing how to reformat the hard disk. I bought a new Dell and it should arrive tomorrow. So I wanted to clean my old Dell and put XP back on it before I get rid of the computer. Is there anyone out there that can help with this? I want to wipe off everything that is on the hard disk now on the Dell Demenison 4600 and then just put XP back on it.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

February 18th, 2009 14:00

Before I put XP back on my hard disk I need to know the steps to reformat my hard drive first. What CD do I put in my computer before rebooting, What key commands do I use to get the computer to go into reformat mode? Then after that is done then what steps do I do to put XP back on the system.

Also I am not interested in putting in a new hard drive instead of reformating like one user suggested.

Thanks

Greg

finfan1966  

Prior to reinstalling XP, use Darik's Boot and Nuke, this will erase all the data from a hard drive.

See HERE

It's a funny name, but a good product.

Formatting the hard drive is part of a clean reinstall of XP.

How to carry out a clean reinstall of XP.

Disconnect all the peripherals from the system except the keyboard, mouse and monitor.

How to configure a Dell Dimension series system to boot to the CD or DVD DRIVE.

This XP reinstallation GUIDE is excellent, or you can use Dell's XP Restallation Guide HERE.

While installing, remember to delete all existing partitions when you are prompted, then recreate the partitions and format the hard drive, following by installing XP.

After installing XP, you need to install the drivers and applications in the correct order, see HERE

Followed by installing the Anti Virus utility, updating the definitions, then all the critical Microsoft updates.

Bev.

482 Posts

February 18th, 2009 06:00

Hello finfan1966,

If you are planning on selling or giving the Demension 4600 away to someone else and are concerned about your HD contents, your best to remove the HD and keep it stored/put into an external HD case, then purchase a replacement HD for the 4600.  There are really no way to be 100% sure that reformating will completely clean a HD.

You can do just a new complete install of the OS, it will tell you that it is going to formate the HD and ask for "Complete Format" of "Quick Format" and that formating will cause you to loose all data, but I would not trust my bank account on such a statement.

Others I am sure have other ideas, but the only truly safe thing is to remove your current HD.

Best,

Darrell WV

3.7K Posts

February 18th, 2009 07:00

Hi finfan1966,  HERE is an journal which will help you put your XP back on your system. Also HERE is an link to your manual.

20 Posts

Before I put XP back on my hard disk I need to know the steps to reformat my hard drive first. What CD do I put in my computer before rebooting, What key commands do I use to get the computer to go into reformat mode? Then after that is done then what steps do I do to put XP back on the system.

Also I am not interested in putting in a new hard drive instead of reformating like one user suggested.

Thanks

Greg

67 Posts

Hi Finfan1966,

when you restart your system press Del to go into the BIOS setting.

In BIOS setting choose boot device from your CD/DVD-Rom save and exit

insert win xp cd and restart system this time it wil boot from your cd not from your hard drive.

after processing for a while it will ask u to format the drive select the drive according to your requirement.

hope this information help you. 

20 Posts

Also that link that you gave is not up anymore. Maybe it is an old article and has been removed.

20 Posts

February 28th, 2009 07:00

I just wanted to say Thank you for helping me out and answering my questions. That program Dariks boot and Nuke worked great! It cleaned everything off my computer and I was able to load XP after that. The only problem I had was loading the drivers. However after talking to support online I was able to load the right drivers. Thanks so much!

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

February 28th, 2009 10:00

finfan1966 

Happy to hear that the problem is resolved.

Bev.

No Events found!