Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 24th, 2016 13:00

Restoring Factory Settings after Windows 10 Upgrade

Last fall I upgraded my XPS 8300 to Windows t0. I used it all winter but decided I want to go back to Windows 7 (for various reasons--not pertinent to this question).

I thought I would be able to just restore factory installation  files but when pressing F8 nothing happens, it just loads the OS. I've tried numerous times with the same results. I wait until the Dell splash screen displays, repeatedly press F8 but nothing.

When installing Windows 10 does it delete the partition with the factory installation files? If not how can I get to them?

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

March 24th, 2016 14:00

I went to the Windows 10 Forum board, found this in the Windows 10 FAQ, "How to roll back Windows 10 upgrade to the previous OS";

When a computer is upgraded from Windows 7 SP1 or Windows 8.1 to Windows 10, the previous version of Windows is retained on the hard drive for approximately 28 days. This feature allows a user to revert back to the previous version of Windows for any reason. After 28 days the old version of Windows is removed to free up space on the hard drive.

You will need to do a clean install of Windows 7 from a CD.

2 Posts

March 25th, 2016 07:00

Thanks but I had already found that. I just wondered if it also erased everything in the Dell Factory Installation partition. Apparently it does.

No Events found!