Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

February 21st, 2007 20:00

Sound Blaster Live 5.1 (Dell OEM) and Vista

I've been reading this board and though many Sound Blaster issues are covered on it I don't think the specific issues I am having were discussed. Pardon me if they were.

I have a Dell Dimension 4600 with the SB Live 5.1 card for Dell.  After updating my computer with a clean install of Vista Home Premium Vista did not recognize my card as a Soundblaster but as a "mulitmedia device". For a day or so I had no sound until suddenly Windows Update provided a driver for the Soundblaster 5.1, installed it and I had sound again. OK, not as good as before (no mixers, etc) but stereo sound and both my speakers and my subwoofer were functioning properly.

Then, for reasons I won't get into here, I had to completely reinstall Vista again, once again a clean install. This time, after several days of no sound, Windows update did not provide any drivers. So I installed the original drivers provided by Dell and it installed the SB card and it worked, at least until I started getting BSODs and I was forced to uninstall it.

Once again back to a "multimedia device" in Device Manager I tried every which way of getting MS to install its driver again with no luck. So this afternoon I installed drivers for xp and an update patch, both downloaded from Creative and once again the SB works, though I have disabled it to avoid more blue screens.

My questions:  Can I remove the drivers without removing the Sound Blaster card as a device in Device Manager so that Vista's Windows Update will see it as a Sound Blaster card without a driver and provide the drivers as it did during the first installation? After I installed the Creative drivers I tried, though Device Manager, updating the drivers by having Windows Update search for them and the response I got from Windows Update was that I "have the latest drivers", clearly wrong.

OK, Creative is not supporting the SB Live 5.1 in Vista and I cannot use the Kx drivers because they do not support the Dell OEM Sound Blaster. Fooling Windows update seems to be the only way I can get around buying a new sound card at this point. Anyone have any suggestions?

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

February 26th, 2007 19:00

Vista does need "Vista specific" drivers for some devices.  If none are available it may just be incompatible.  That sound card is "old" (as computer hardware goes). 

5 Posts

March 6th, 2007 13:00

try them drivers mate, spent hours looking for some drivers last night for Vista for same sound card

21 Posts

March 8th, 2007 02:00

Hi JD495 and friends,

May I ask a question?
I also have a Dell Dimension 4600 with BIOS version: A02
I would like to upgrade to Windows Vista as well.
May I know do I need a newer version of BIOS to use Windows Vista.
Thank you very much.
Bye.
No Events found!