Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 23rd, 2010 19:00

Studio 540 does not start

My Studio 540 shut down and does not start again. If I unplug the power cord and re-plug it the green light in the back may or may not turn on, If it does turn on and I press the power switch, the fan turns on for less than 5 seconds and then stops, the green light then turns off. Is this a power supply problem?

Thanks

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

June 23rd, 2010 22:00

AParham

Check the reading of the power button LED, is it Steady White, Blinking White, Steady Amber, Blinking Amber or is it Off?

The Studio 540 Troubleshooter is HERE

Are there any error messages, if there are, please post the exact text of them?

Bev.

4 Posts

June 24th, 2010 06:00

The power button LED is off. There are no error messages, it doesn't boot up at all.

Thanks

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

June 24th, 2010 07:00

AParham

Try connecting the power cord directly to a different outlet, to see it makes a difference.

Does the power supply fan work?

If you are comfortable working around computers, you could try the following:

Note: The only 100% method of testing a PSU, is to install a know working power supply.

Unplug the cord from the power supply, hold the power button in for about 15/20 seconds, open the case, unplug the 24-pin power connector from the motherboard and jump the Green wire to one of the Black wires, reconnect the power cord and power the system, if power supply's fan and the hard drive run, then the PSU should be good.

Note: Do not remove any wires from the plug, use a small piece of wire or a paper clip as a jumper.

Bev

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

June 24th, 2010 12:00

AParham

i would suggest replacing the power supply, if you have a warranty in effect, contact Dell's Technical Support for replacement.

No warranty,  the Dell Studio 540 Mini Tower can use most generic standard ATX power supply units, with either a 24-pin or 20+4-pin main motherboard power connector, with or without the on/off switch.

You should be able to buy a compatible power supply from either a local or online computer store.

Note: You require a power supply with four SATA power connectors.

Check out the Corsair/Antec brands of power supplies.

Bev.

4 Posts

I tried different outlet and the power supply fan does not work.

Jumping the wires did not make a difference either, so I guess it is the power supply, correct?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Parham

4 Posts

Thanks, I will do that.

No Events found!