Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 15th, 2013 12:00

Studio XPS 8000: Missing NETWORK CONTROLLER and ETHERNET CONTROLLER drivers after fresh reinstall of Win7 Pro

Had the misfortune to have to do a clean reinstall of Win7 on my XPS from 2010. After the latest move, for sure have no clue where and Dell disks might hide, but with the service tag and software licence key sticker still in place, I should be OK. I thought...

* Downloaded the .ISO version from  http://msft-dnl.digitalrivercontent.net/msvista/pub/X15-65805/X15-65805.iso 

* Stored it on a USB (made bootable with Microsoft Windows7-USB-DVD-tool

* Booted up the machine on the USB, ran installation.

Everything worked just fine up until now. But after the whole installation process was completed without a hitch, I see there is no network connectivity. Device Manager is showing both Ethernet Controller and Network Controller have no drivers installed.

Q1. What are these, really? i understand they have to do with networking, but more in detail?

Of course I tried to install the drivers via Win7 included set of drivers, automatic identification did not find any. My guess now: Win 7 from 2013 does not have the drivers I need for hardware from 2010. 

They I went to Dell site, entered the service tag. No support anymore, too old, and the listing of components in my machine is sketchy to say the least, no level of details. But I tried to find any and all network-related drivers for Win7 I could find (4), downloaded these and installed them into C-DELL-DRIVERS-folder (backslash is too hard to type on this mac I use right now, replace hyphens and you will understand). After installation, I tried again to install the drivers missing, but that folders seemed to not have anything useful anyway...?

Q2: I read in this forum that http://downloads.dell.com/network/R230378.exe should be the driver for Ethernet Controller. Good. But how about Network Controller, what is needed there?

Thanks for any help,

Nizque

10 Elder

• 

44.4K Posts

January 15th, 2013 13:00

Do you have a WiFi (+ Bluetooth) 802.11 card installed? That might be the missing network driver. In which case you need both the driver and possibly the bluetooth application, if the card has both.

Install the Broadcom driver R230378 and then reboot. See if both the ethernet and Network entries in Device Manager are happy again.

Don't understand why your Service Tag isn't found. My Dell is from 2004 and its Service Tag is still recognized, not that the Support site finds all the drivers I would need, based on that Service Tag.

10 Elder

• 

44.4K Posts

January 16th, 2013 17:00

:emotion-21:

And please mark this thread as "solved"

2 Posts

January 16th, 2013 13:00

1. Sure my service tag "worked", was just that the info displayed was not very detailed. Did not help me identifying anything relevant for this problem.

2. No Wifi, just plain old wired ethernet.

3. Yes, the R230378 actually did the trick for me, was not clear at the time for the post. Great that I could find a reference to it here on the Community!

Thanks for the interest. My machine is now up and running again ! :emotion-21:

//Nz

No Events found!