Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 2nd, 2010 17:00

Trouble installing new video card in Dell Dimension 8300

l bought a Radeon HD 3650 videocard (manufactured by VisionTek) with 1 GB DDR2 memory for my Dell Dimension 8300. I went to the Device Manager and uninstalled the two drivers for my original video card, rebooting the computer each time as instructed. Then  I shut down the computer and put the new video card in.  I have it pushed in as far as it will go, but it does not seem to fit as well as the original where the VGA connection exits the back of the CPU. The new video card does not have a power connection, but I can tell it is receiving power because the fan is running.

When I turn the computer back on, the monitor says it is not receiving a signal. I also tried hooking up a second monitor I have with the same result.

When I read the troubleshooting instructions from VisionTek, they mention  disabling any "onboard video" (video built into the motherboard). Do Dell Dimensions have onboard video? I looked in the Device Manager and the bios and didn't see anything that looked like this. If it is there, how do I disable it? If it's not, what else can I do to get the video card working?

Thanks in advance for your help.

14 Posts

August 2nd, 2010 18:00

On the box, it says it is an 8x AGP card. Do you still think it is the wrong thing? It doesn't say PCI Express anywhere on the box (or even PCI, that I can see).

14.4K Posts

August 2nd, 2010 18:00

You problem is you have the wrong type card for your system. The 8300 uses AGP cards and the card you have is a PCIe card. the Connection and pinouts are just not the same.

I would recommend you return the card and look for a AGP card model

14.4K Posts

August 2nd, 2010 19:00

You can tell by the connector on the Card a PCIe card will have a small L shaped tab on the back edge of the card. I as you say the card does not appear to fit then I think that you do not have the card full seated into the mother board connector. The end of the card should line up with the back panel slot

14 Posts

August 2nd, 2010 19:00

There is an L-shaped piece on the back next to the two long gold pieces that connect into the mother board. Does that mean it is PCIe?

If so, could you recommend a card or two that would be appropriate for me to buy? I tried finding a GE Force one I read about in an old forum post, but it was no longer available.

I really appreciate your help!

881 Posts

August 2nd, 2010 20:00

Have you tried looking at both video cards side by side? Are the bottom of the cards EXACTLY the same?

Jeff

14 Posts

August 3rd, 2010 08:00

P.S. The card I bought is listed by Dell as compatible when I search using my service tag. Here is a link to the product I bought:

http://graphics.visiontek.com/video/3000/3650_1Gb_agp.html

And here it is on the Dell site:

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/products/Graphics_Cards/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=A3520736&mfgpid=161610&chassisid=8217

The manufacturer's part number on the Dell site matches the one on the box I bought. Maybe I am doing something wrong when seating it into the motherboard?

14 Posts

I compared both of the cards as you suggested. The one that came with my Dimension 8300 has three short gold pieces followed by the L-shaped piece.

The Radeon one I bought has one long gold piece and one short one, followed by the L-shaped piece.

Do the new one need to be exactly the same as the old one in order for it to work?

881 Posts

Look at the slot where the old card was. Can you see how it is not one continuos slot but is actually divided??? Those "gold pcs" need to be the same as the slot. Do you have another slot that will match the new card? Try looking at the pictures on Newegg.com. They show the card from several angles. You can see the different configurations on the bottom of different cards.

Jeff

14 Posts

The slot that my old card was sitting in is green in color, but the manufacturer's box indicates I should be sticking it in a brown slot. I don't have a brown slot.

881 Posts

August 3rd, 2010 09:00

I am not sure either............ To completely remove the old driver you can use a program called "Drive Sweeper" (free download) Just make sure you select the video driver only as it WILL get rid of whatever you check! Does the old card still work? I ask that to make sure the slot isn't damaged from all the pushing and jiggling. There is always the chance that the new card is defective. If all else fails return it for another card.

Jeff

14 Posts

Yes, I see the divisions you are talking about. My new card does line up with the divisions that are in the green slot I removed the old card from. I can push the new card all the way in, but there is a little "give" vertically that was not there with the old card. The old card fit very snugly. Despite the give, I can still connect the monitor, but even if I jiggle the card up and down, the monitor does not activate.

I did uninstall the drivers for the old card, but if the uninstall did not "take" for some reason, would this cause the "no signal" response from the monitor? Or is the issue that the card is not fitting snugly enough? Thanks for your patience and help. I have installed memory cards before with no problem but am not sure what is wrong with this install.

14 Posts

Yes, the old card does work. I will try drive sweeper and if that doesn't work, I can take the card back to Best Buy, along with the CPU, and see if they can help me. I just hate to give them any more money. :emotion-5:

5 Posts

December 4th, 2010 14:00

Yes, I see the divisions you are talking about. My new card does line up with the divisions that are in the green slot I removed the old card from. I can push the new card all the way in, but there is a little "give" vertically that was not there with the old card. The old card fit very snugly. Despite the give, I can still connect the monitor, but even if I jiggle the card up and down, the monitor does not activate.

I did uninstall the drivers for the old card, but if the uninstall did not "take" for some reason, would this cause the "no signal" response from the monitor? Or is the issue that the card is not fitting snugly enough? Thanks for your patience and help. I have installed memory cards before with no problem but am not sure what is wrong with this install.

Now I understand more about it, Thanks for your sharing! It's helpful to me.

June 16th, 2011 15:00

What was the final outcome of this?  I am in the EXACT same situation and could use the recommendation

14 Posts

June 16th, 2011 16:00

Unfortunately, none of the steps outlined here worked for me. I ended up taking it to Best Buy, and they installed it for me.

No Events found!