Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 1st, 2011 19:00

USB-> serial adapter with an Inspiron 400?

I need to control a serial device from my inspiron 400 (ZINO) which does not have a serial port. I have been unsuccessful in getting ANY USB-> serial adapter to work successfully with this computer. (Including a keyspan which works for me on all my other computers)

1)has ANYONE here gotten a USB-> serial adapter to work with the Inspiron 400?

2) is there any way I can add a real serial port to the Inspiron 400? I don't think it has expansion slots for example for a PCI card.

Best regards,

Joe

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

March 2nd, 2011 03:00

I've found the USB/Serial adapters to be iffy at best.  I had to go through four different adapters until I found one that will work with my wife's Singer Embroidery machine - and it will only work with my Dell Dimension E510 desktop - not with two different Laptops. 

If there is no room for an expansion Serial Port card, you will have to keep trying different adapters and maybe one will work with this PC.

5 Posts

March 2nd, 2011 12:00

Thanks for the response.  As I said, I have been unable to get the Inspiron 400 to work with any of the adapters I have tried including a KeySpan which is (in my experience) the most reliable. I am still waiting to hear back from TripLite technical support (manufacturer of the KeySpan adapter). Which brings me back to my original questions:

1) has anyone out there succeeded in using a USB->  Serial adapter with the Inspiron 400?

2) does anyone see a way for me to connect a real serial port to my Inspiron 400?

Regards,

Joe

No Events found!